OT: Cell phone advice needed

IRG

• Members

I think pretty much all of the newer smart phones should be wi-fi capable, but most of the basic budget ones probably aren't. I'm not really up on all the latest cell phone stuff, I just figured it out from reading about t-mobile's hot spots. Since I have T-mobile, I just got a basic wi-fi capable Samsung phone and it just hopped right on the router and as soon as I put the password in it started working. My kids' friends all have smart phones with a variety of carriers and they all seem to be able to connect at our house too.

OK cool. I'll have to do some digging on this, but it seems to make sense. If your connected via the home wireless router, then you're not using up any of your minutes/text time then, correct?

• Members

OK cool. I'll have to do some digging on this, but it seems to make sense. If your connected via the home wireless router, then you're not using up any of your minutes/text time then, correct?

I believe T-mobile has 2 different services for this. The one mentioned below DOES use your minutes. but I know they have a plan as soon as you get inside your WiFi, calls are free. A work colleague has this, but is out of town at the moment so I can't ask him.

http://t-mobile-coverage.t-mobile.com/4g-wireless-broadband-service

(fine Print)

"Capable device and Wi-Fi connection required. Wi-Fi calling decrements plan minutes. Except for UMA devices, device will not transition between Wi-Fi and the wireless network."

• Members

I would assume you are, but I don't know for sure. I do know the calls show up in the call history and their minutes are logged, but we have unlimited plans so I don't know how the accounting would work if you don't. Seriously though, with a 12 year old, don't even consider anything that has limits on it. They live on the phone and texting all day is just a way of life.

Archived