Pedalboard Concepts

• Members

My first board was a Boss BCB-6. Still got it. I've been all acoustic for a decade and now I'm back to electric. I'm now setting up a new board and these are the preliminary ideas. Any suggestions/observations will be appreciated...that's why I'm posting.

First photo's my initial idea

• Members
I dig the second one.
:thu:

Yeah...it really covers most of the bases for me. I rarely use my wah and would rather keep the volume pedal flat/off the board anyway. I'd like to keep it small as possible and the 3rd photo does that nicely...but it might be too much of a compromise. Thanks.

• Members

like the second one too. what would you be putting in the psm5 or did i miss that? i mainly use mine for wah on/off. also i like the idea of chorus after delay.

When you say the second one, do you mean the second picture or the smaller rig?

The PSM-5 would be a Boss TU-3. Why do you like the chorus after delay? I'll give that a listen.

• Members

from what i understand you could use the PSM-5 as a bypass looper, yes.

personally i'd ditch the MT-2 and and OC-2 and keep the chorus and delay in there.. but that's just me.

How are you finding the Strymon favourite switch? i'm thinking of getting one. if you have completely different delay time/feedback settings on the preset, when you switch it, does the delayed signal switch instantly or does it 'ramp' up/down the delay time to the new preset?

• Members

yeah it is like an effects loop, but i also has a power out so you can power the effects in it. i like to us it for my wah so i can have it start in heel down or it can be a fixed position.

• Members

personally i'd ditch the MT-2 and and OC-2 and keep the chorus and delay in there.. but that's just me.

How are you finding the Strymon favourite switch? i'm thinking of getting one. if you have completely different delay time/feedback settings on the preset, when you switch it, does the delayed signal switch instantly or does it 'ramp' up/down the delay time to the new preset?

1) I like the favorite switch a LOT...but it does have it's problems. If you're thinking of a seamless switchover during performance, it ain't gonna happen. Ambient sound performers are upset about this because you lose a beat. It's not so much a "ramping up" as a "pause" to catch up. Strymon chose this over the speeding up/slowing down sound on the switchover. Plus, it doesn't do "Trails" from current to Favorite (or vice versa), either. Only when you switch to Bypass. It's for both of those reasons (and the looper) that I want to keep the DD-2. But I still love the pedal. You can work around the problems with the right setup...and the sounds are just soooo awesome. For me, the "Favorite" switch gives a very nice option to get to my tried and true when I want. Either during or between tunes. And if you give it a second to breathe when you switch over, you've got whatever sound you want.

2) I included the Octave pedal 'cuz I recently wrote a tune that uses it. Sounds great...but otherwise I rarely, if ever, use it. So it's a goner. The Metal Zone's got a Humphrey mod and it's ridiculously great...but it's not my main squeeze. I do want to keep a spot open for it, though. Thanks for your take...I used it and now have a spot or two open.

3) I tried out the full unit from picture #2, today, and am totally amped! The TC Electronic preamp made the transition in sound between no pedals to full effects train absolutely seamless. The original amp sound, both clean and lead, stays strong. I'm so happy about this and am now fully committed to setting up my board.

Anybody know if I can use the Boss TU-3 as a both a tuner and a bypass loop pedal (like I do the PSM-5)? That would be great!

Archived