fuzz factory question - which knob is the crazy(ier) one? stab or comp?

Johansolo

• Members

im planning on building a fuzz factory and wooly mammoth in one enclosure, but i want to put one of the knobs on the side, with a big knob so you can roll it with your foot/toe.

its been a while since i had a FF around and cant remember, was it the stab or the comp (or both) that made the wheeeeeee sounds?

which would be "better" for controlling on the fly?

• Members

The pedal bit on the fuzz probe controls the pitch and in some settings tone. However I use a setting where the gate knob ranges from spluttery sounds to squeal. If I were building one I'd have trim pots for comp, drive and stab, a normal knob for volume and a foot adjustable gate.

Just thought, why not build the pedal with normal knobs and a big knob (sic) with a cable to connect to whatever knob you want to control? Like that third hand expression doohicky but part of the pedal.

• Members

IMO the Stab is really the voltage knob. Turning it up gives you full power and the lower it gets the more of the 'dying battery' tone is available.

The Comp when fully clockwise starts to get those glitchy Atari sounds and when fully counter-clockwise darkens the overall tone and removes the glitchiness.

The Gate knob needs to be tweaked to remove the feedback squeal when you're not playing a note.

Archived