Ambient music - what are you guys into?

falseswipe

• Members

Tim hecker - Harmony in ultraviolet ... is my fave all time record period.

Its been 5 years since its release and love it everytime i play it.

Other faves are

Growing ( new album pumps sucks balls) Amazing live

LIchens

Belong !!!

Klimek

Stars of the lid

Boards of canada

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never fashioned myself an ambient guy, but I must admit that there is some nice sounding music in this genre. You can sit back while reading a magazine, or while at work. Some of the local public radio stations have an hour or two, people I've never heard of. Pandora is great for discovering this kind of stuff.

• Members

There is a lot of very liberal interpretation of the term 'ambient' in this thread. It's a rather.... Um... ambiguous term.

To me, if it has drums, it's not ambient.

Ethnic Percussion = New Age

Regular Drums = Post-Rock

Electronic Drums = IDM or down tempo

There are always exceptions of course, for instants Hammock kind of weave in and out of post-rock and ambient, but that's my general rule.

• Members

To me, if it has drums, it's not ambient.

Ethnic Percussion = New Age

Regular Drums = Post-Rock

Electronic Drums = IDM or down tempo

There are always exceptions of course, for instants Hammock kind of weave in and out of post-rock and ambient, but that's my general rule.

I think a lot of people confuse ambience, the texture, with ambient, the genre; and just because it has the former, doesn't mean it is the latter.

• Members

Good thread is {censored}ing awsome. I'll deter from my normal Tim Hecker and SFTF response that I usually post in this monthly thread.

I've been really into Sandro Perri's work lately, both under his name and under "Polmo Polpo." Listen to "Like Hearts Swelling" fist, and if you like it follow it up with "Plays Polmo Polpo" for lovely reinterpretations of the previous album. You can listen to both of these, along with many other wonderful artists, for free on the Constellation Records website.

cst026hires.jpg

cst042hires.jpg

Archived