OT: Recovering stolen items

|||||

• Members

Off topic: a family member had their house broken in to this past weekend. Any recommendations on a "protocol" post theft?

Things I can think of:

Craigslist

Pawn Shops (not many in the area)

eBay?

It seems like these burglars knew what they were doing, knowing the schedule of the family so I don't think they would be that stupid to sell on craigslist or eBay. I'm surprised this happened in the area where they live, it's a very safe area to live in. Any help would be much appreciated, they pretty much took everything of theirs.

cheers :)

• Members

It's for a family member. The police are involved but I wanted to help get as much of their "stuff" back as possible. A lot of it was jewelry passed down through family members. It was not my house that was broken in to but a close family members home. I'm just trying to get some leads on to where to search for these materials.

thanks thanks thanks

• Members

Jewelry is going to be broken down, the precious metals will be melted, and the gemstones removed. Everything is going to be sold separately. Unless they're stupid crooks, and it doesn't sound like these crooks were stupid, they wouldn't take a relatively rare or unusual heirloom piece of jewelry and try to sell it directly. A crackhead might make an amateur mistake like that, but crackheads don't clear out houses - they take pretty much only what they can carry.

Without photos and serial numbers, anything else is going to be difficult to positively identify even if they find out where it's being sold. Again, an experienced crook isn't likely to try to sell on eBay or Craigslist. It's too easy for the victim to find their stuff, and too easy to track down the crook. Experienced crooks sell on the black market where buyers know damn well they're buying stolen property, and they don't care. More likely than eBay or Craigslist would be a flea market in another state, where it's highly unlikely that anyone who would recognize the stuff would be there to see it.

If the stuff is really valuable or has a high emotional value, and worth the expense, then you might consider hiring a private detective. They'll know how to look into the black market in your area and see if they can find some of the goods. If they go this route then they'll probably have to buy their own stuff back. The detective isn't going to risk his life trying to bust the guys who are selling it. Also, they'd need to move quickly before the stuff gets sold or the jewelry gets melted down.

The best offense against something like this is a good defense. Good locks and burglar alarm will usually keep crackheads out of your house. Good insurance will help you recover from a professional heist. Your most valuable stuff, like heirloom jewelry, should be kept in a safe deposit box.

• Members

The best chance of getting anything back is to get as much information as possible in the hands of the police ASAP.

Pictures, detailed descriptions...etc.

You wouldnt thiink they would be stupid enough to pawn or sell anything locally, but they ARE.

I was able to recover a few of my prized possestions, mostly due to being able to provide pictures and details to the police very quickly.

Good luck.

Archived