CS 80 - the voice of God

oldgearguy

• Members

Wow... that video of Vangelis playing the CS80 was incredibly inspiring.

I was making a patch in z3ta+ trying to imitate a piano that eventually morphed into a Rhodes when I failed, and just now I morphed it into a CS80... I wish I had aftertouch! Here's a demo of the sound - maybe it'll help you feel like your CS80 isn't so vital :D

• Members

Wow man I'm blown away! Got a yams CS-20 for $75 in the 90s and a CS-40 for $80 in 2005. Someone was selling a CS-60 here for $900 I thought too much but let's check it out... after an hour of playing it was sketchier than vista I thought not worth $500. If people are seriously willing to pay what 15-20-25 gs?! I'm speachless!! I don't want to be naive but there's a chance the analog craze will pass or at least tone down a bit... I remember when 808s were $50! I didn't get one cause it was limited then just like it's limited now... Man sell the synth and retire in Central America!

• Members
  • Members

As much as I love them, they aren't practical. I've had two of them and sold them both. While I do miss them, I don't miss their weight or having to service them. I really don't think that you'll miss it that much once it's gone. The only piece of gear that I sold and realized that I couldn't live without was my Mellotron, so I bought it back.

• Members

Isn't it really more about the interface?

When keyboardists laud this synth, it's mostly for the keybed (with it's polyphonic aftertouch) and the performance interface. I mean, I love the sound of the ring-mod. And sure, it's got a lot more VCO's than my CS50. But, wouldn't it be nice if it had stronger 24db filters?

• Members

Isn't it really more about the interface?

When keyboardists laud this synth, it's mostly for the keybed (with it's polyphonic aftertouch) and the performance interface. I mean, I love the sound of the ring-mod. And sure, it's got a lot more VCO's than my CS50. But, wouldn't it be nice if it had stronger 24db filters?

I don't get this. People get way too hung up on 24db or 12db filters. The filter on the CS-80 is great. I don't understand what about the 24 db filter would make it so much better. The 12db filter is really smooth sounding. The synth sounds great and the ring mod is excellent. The SH-5 has a 12db filter too and it's awesome. The SH-5 is thin sounding but that's the oscillator design not the filter.

• Members

Well, I can't really get as much bass out of the CS50 as I might like, and I've heard this is related to the filter design. It makes sense; the sharper attenuation of high frequencies would allow more volume on lower frequencies when desired. The keybed octave switch could have been made to go another octave lower, but it seems like the VCO's are already very low -- verging on muddy in the lowest notes. I could run the entire synth through my Moog LPF (and do, but it doesn't track and certainly isn't 'polyphonic'), or EQ the signal more, but all in all it doesn't seem like there is a lot about the actual VCO and VCF's designs that are superior to some of the other designs out there -- how about a CS80+ that had 24db VCF's, but everything else was the same (including the inclusion of a HPF, the possibility of reinserting the sine wave signal after the filters, the keybed and performance controllers setup, etc.). What would be gained? What would be lost?

Don't get me wrong, I've considered selling a lot of gear and taking out a loan to acquire a CS80 before they have all disappeared. I respect and desire the synth... but realistically, for that kind of money, one might be able to roll their own solution (especially if some new controllers with polyphonic aftertouch appear sometime soon). What would people choose to change? Hint: it's not the keybed or the performance controls arrangement... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i completely agree with this:

"I say keep the CS-80. If you need money, sell something else that's easier to retrieve in the future."

Lets put this to rest. It's not about the collection (anymore). I can safely say I've owned virtually every major analog made (with the exception of true modulars), a lot of minor ones, and a good number of rare ones over the years. They're all cool in their own way. I'm looking at keeping a setup that allows me to make the music I hear in my head with minimal fuss.

If you think I need to keep a CS-80 in addition to a B-3, Mellotron, MiniMoog, Waldorf Wave, Q+, Jupiter-8, Synthex, and a few other pieces I have here, I'd have to disagree. Yes it's another synth color, but it's not for me. Plus, I'm done with churn. No more buy/sell/buy the same or similar gear over and over again.

I'd rather put some $$$ in my girls college funds, get the ATR-102 refurbished, and buy a Bricasti or something with the money.

• Members

you could always sell it, buy the doepfer ribbon controller, and a cs-60 and have lots of change left over. not quite the same but close enough for studio work with some tweaking.

if it's between the cs-80 and selling off 3 diverse pieces of gear sell the cs-80. you'd miss the elka and the chroma and ppg just as much individually let alone all 3 combined...

• Members

you could always sell it, buy the doepfer ribbon controller, and a cs-60 and have lots of change left over. not quite the same but close enough for studio work with some tweaking.

if it's between the cs-80 and selling off 3 diverse pieces of gear sell the cs-80. you'd miss the elka and the chroma and ppg just as much individually let alone all 3 combined...

And that's exactly why I passed up the opportunity to buy large modular systems twice over the past 10 years or so. It would have meant selling off most of what I had at the time and I'd rather have the diversity instead.

Archived