Considering selling/trading my Prophet 08 for....

whatwhat808

• Members

Hi, I've had this for about half a year and while I love the interface and the sound (to a certain extent), I just bought an Andromeda which I've wanted for a while. Two polysynths like these is complete overkill for me. I prefer the Andromeda for the most part and I think I can cover what I need with the Prophet on the Andromeda.

Along with the Andromeda, my current setup includes a Machinedrum MK2 UW, and a Korg M3. I'm looking at another instrument to replace the Prophet and have considered the following:

- Virus TI desktop (or Polar)

- Voyager RME

- SE1X

- Vsynth rack

Is there anything else I should consider or could anyone highly recommend any of the above that would integrate well with my current gear? A solid analog mono synth and a flexible digital synth are about equal on my desire level. If I were to purchase one and not the other, I would probably get the other eventually. I want to stick with something rack mounted or a desktop unit because I am really lacking space but might be able to accomodate a small keyboard.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

Voyager if you can afford the luxury. I'm no Virus or V-Synth fan so more info into what music your into is needed there. If you can't swing the luxury, SE1x.

Between the Voyager and SE1x, The Voyager was complete in sound without FX while the SE1x was missing something and needed assistance to my ears.

• Members

Not trying to tie it down to just genres but I suppose hip hop and house would be it. If I get what I think I can get for the Prophet, I should be able to pick up a Voyager for a few hundred more. Also, how much am I really missing out between the Voyager keyboard and RME? Is it just the touch screen and if so, how much practical application does the touch screen have versus cool factor?

• Members

The Voyager touch screen is like the X-Y controll on the M3. You already have the M3. So you don't need the touchpad.

Haven't heard of V-Synths being used in House. I had a V-Synth and create Deep House for the most part and got rid of it. The Virus is a good choice for what your into but you could do a lot of what you'd do on the Virus with a Radias expansion in your M3.

There's no substitute for a Moog. Others create sounds that are close but when you have one, you never forget the experience.

I really miss the Thomas Wolf presets of the RME I used to own. :(

• Members

Why did you get rid of your Voyager?

A financial constraint at the time. When these happen, I sell off luxury items in my studio and keep to or purchase more practical alternatives.

More or less, this is the reason my Prophet 08 is up for sale. It's not really gelling with my music, I have a credit card I want to pay off, collect more money before my retirement from the military, and replace it with the more practical Blofeld Keyboard.

This is also the reason I'm using more software with analog outboard. It's more cost effective and IMHO, you still generate the "Analog" sound with more control in it's conception.

• Members

Cool. I want to buy more outboard but I want to move to a new place before doing so and feel that the outboard will be a waste until then. I think after that I might have room for another synth and maybe another drum machine but after that I will get too distracted. Thanks for your advice.

• Members

Outboard gear is more broad than synths. :lol: Your definitely have to test a few but in this area, I tend to prefer the British stuff. There music infrastructure is centered on Electronica so their gear is pretty much made to support those styles verses America as an example that caters to Rock and Roll, and Jazz.

And Tubes! a great added feature that gives digital synths analogue warmth.

Try Allen & Heath and TL Audio for starters. I'm a bit of a fan right now on their products.

• Members
LOTS of preset memory and the midi enhancements will be very useful. If you can't swing the Voyager RME then get a Little Phatty.

If that's all there is then I'm not sure if I need that. Honestly, I think I would be okay with an Old School but the complete lack of MIDI is what gets me. I get paid tomorrow so I think I'll be eBay lurking for a RME :). Thanks for all the advice.

Archived