Any DJs in here?

Gonkboy

• Members

yes... DJ CD player by different brands... i heard good things about pioneer... but i think you need one dedicated mixer. a battle mixer with two lines in are enugh imo...

EDIT CD Players are also build by Numark, Gemini etc. Mixer i would go with Vestax... but thats maybe way to pricey for just fading from one channel to the other.

to bad - i dont know a good DJ Forum.

whats your needs and budget? i think the cheapes stuff is from reloop and gemini...

• Members

I'd ideally like a player that allows me to mix songs but also has some fx to make it a bit more interesting.
I don't want to spend too much money as it's just a hobby to play in my room with or to play in a local bar.

• Members

Laptop is the way to go. Ableton Live with your tracks key marked makes for harmonic mixing heaven. Small midi keyboard arpeggiating twinkly bits or atmospheric pads over your blends is magic.

There is absolutely no benefit to using CDJs. You will look like 1998.

• Members

I use CDs and vinyl. Although I recommend Pioneer CDJs, take a look at the Numark Mixdeck if your budget is limited.

Laptop is the way to go. Ableton Live with your tracks key marked makes for harmonic mixing heaven. Small midi keyboard arpeggiating twinkly bits or atmospheric pads over your blends is magic.

There is absolutely no benefit to using CDJs. You will look like 1998.

Ableton Live only vaguely resembles DJing. The advantage of CDs is that you're forced to learn a DJ's basic necessary skillset. It also makes gigging easier: nothing to hook up, no weird DJ transfer. Just bring a booklet of CDs and headphones and you're set. This is why the vast majority of touring DJs still use CDs. What DJs use Ableton?

In 1998 everyone used vinyl. CDs became prevalent around 2005, and are still the standard.

I'm a moderator on www.djforums.com but it's unfortunately down right now. I've been spinning since 1995, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

• Members

Maybe I need to use a laptop. Carting CDs around sounds like too much work. The Gemini CNTRL-7 looks pretty good.

That looks good enough to start out. If the soundcard on your computer is more than just stereo you may not even need a controller with an external soundcard. Traktor works for alot of people but that bundled software is fine. I really like Ableton Live and as you are a musician the learning experience of mixing in a DAW can be a benefit for other music projects and recordings you may do in the future. Loop song sections and jam over them?

Have fun with it. :)

• Members

richie hawtin, skrillex, deadmau5, paul van dyk and flying lotus would like to have a word with you

Yeah, only a handful of major DJs use it. Hawtin uses it in conjunction with Traktor. PVD is pretty much does a Live PA instead of DJ set at this point, even incorporating Logic and synths. Skrillex and Deadmau5 aren't DJs (just ask them). Never seen Flying Lotus, but doesn't he do Live PAs instead of DJ sets as well? Similarly, Daft Punk performs live with Ableton, but still uses CDs to DJ.

Sasha is a big one. edit: apparently he's back on CDJs

• Members

OP - Worry about the gear later. The most important part of DJing is the music you select. Focus on getting a solid collection together. Record yourself mixing an hour long set and listen back to it a couple times over the next few days. You can do this on your computer right now without buying anything. Go to some venues that play the type of music you want to play and experience it on the dancefloor.

:poke:CDJs are fine. Wedding DJs have been using them since the mid 90s.:poke:

• Members

Music selection is absolutely the most important thing.

Aside from that, the basics are beatmatching, phrasematching, and EQing.

:poke:CDJs are fine. Wedding DJs have been using them since the mid 90s.:poke:

:poke: And now wedding DJs use controllers, and international superstars use CDJs :poke:

But really, any equipment is fine as long as you learn the basics. I would recommend a controller with an interface at the bare minimum. If your budget is limited, something like a Numark Mixtrack Pro or Hercules RMX would be fine. You'll also need decent headphones and speakers.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at all your suggestions and some more and there seems to be so much choice it's a bit confusing.
I would like to be able to mix songs but i'd also like to be able to trigger some samples. I would like something that can play songs from my laptop, external harddrive, and CDs. I also want effects so I can mess around with the songs.
I've been looking at the Traktor Kontrol S2 which is available locally. I live in South Korea so it is difficult to find alot of the recommendations. Perhaps shopping online would be best.

Archived