NPD: Empress Multidrive

percyexpat

• Members

Never punch dogs? No! New pedal day.

Got an Empress Multidrive in the post from a forum member yesterday. So much fun. It takes a lot of tweaking to find the sweet spots but when you do it's amazing. Lives up to the hype. And I don't even do super high gain stuff. The clean/crunch territory is excellent.

I was a bit disappointed with the fuzz at first but then I realised what it's for. On a fairly low setting it sounds just like a slightly torn/overdriven speaker. When mixed in at the right levels it adds a bit of snarl and bite that works really well.

It also helps if the pedal runs into a very slightly dirty amp or another distortion pedal with the gain turned right down. That helps bind the different sounds running in parallel together.

To top it all off i've never played through a pedal that responds so well to playing dynamics. There's so much tonal variation at different volume levels that it really encourages you to vary your playing.

Anyhoo, a recommended good time.

One gripe: the filters are a bit heavy handed. I haven't been able to do much with them so far. The fuzz basically disappears behind the low pass filter and fizzes like heck with the high pass. The distortion doesn't like them much either. They work okay with the overdrive though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived