apollo fuzz wah

guitarpreston

• Members

im confused on how the switches work. when i click down with my toe it turns off completely as in no signal comes through. the only wah i have used before was a crybaby and when i do that it turns the effect off and everything sounds normal. is that right or is my switch messed up?

• Members

Shin-ei usually didn't mark the circuit board in any way, other than maybe a part number in the copper on the bottom. They usually stamped their logo on the inside of the base plate, though.

Anyway, that doesn't look like a Shin-ei circuit board. Shin-ei's boards were usually very tidy, with all of the wire pads along one side of the PCB. The Shin-ei Fuzz Wah was also an 8 transistor circuit, with 6 transistors in the conventional FY-6/Super-Fuzz configuration, and 2 transistors in the wah circuit. That PCB has a total of six transistors.

It might be similar to the Ibanez version of the Shin-ei Fuzz Wah. That version used only five transistors in the fuzz section, replacing the 2 transistor stabilized bias preamp with a single FET preamp. It had one transistor in the wah circuit. Not quite as severe as the Shin-ei fuzz circuit, but it cleans up a lot more when you back off the guitar volume. The PCB layout doesn't look like the Ibanez layout, but it could still be the same basic circuit based on the number of transistors.

Anyway, I can see the bypass path from the input jack, through the fuzz switch, through the wah switch, and to the output jack. If you're losing signal when you kick off the wah then look at the bypass wiring on the wah switch (difficult see in the pic because it's behind the white wire) or check the switch with an ohmmeter.

Also, looks like they put the battery interlock on the output jack instead of the input jack. They did the same thing with a lot of the FY-2's.

• Members

Ah glad you commented I was going to try and get in touch with you tomorrow. Didn't know you were on here. I don't really know for sure what it is. Sticker on the base plate said Japan. It will take quite a bit of work to get going and a used crybaby will be on my door tomorrow so this jewels project might be pushed to a later date. I don't use fuzz a whole lot I just wanted to mess with it a bit.

Archived