OT: Ebay & PayPal, WTF???

vanillawafer

• Members

Wow, I must have been hiding under a block. I've used Ebay since 1999 and PayPal for most transactions. As mostly a seller on Ebay I've never had an issue using PayPal & Ebay. I haven't used them in probably a year, but I just listed my S90ES on their and it sold. The buyer paid with PayPal and I recieved the notification from PayPal that the item was paid for and that I should ship to the buyer imediately and that the funds were on hold for 21 days and provided the buyer didn't dispute the transaction then the hold would be released.

Thinking this email was a scam I logged into my PayPal account and sure enough the funds were on hold for 21 days. :mad: So, what this means is that I have to ship my S90ES to the buyer without really recieving the funds and then the buyer could still dispute the transaction regardless if it was as described and the buyer liked it. So I could be out the S90ES and Money and I would be screwed. WTF??? When did this kind of crap start happening.

Well, I refunded the money to the buyer and said I'm not willing to take this risk. I just hope the buyer understands and doesn't now leave me negative feedback. Now add to this that I now have a $75 bill from ebay and the only way they will revoke the fee is if the buyer agrees to my cancelation request. All the buyer has to do is say they don't agree and I have to pay Ebay $75. If he says he agrees then Ebay won't charge me. This is so screwed up, how the hell does anyone sell with ebay these day?

• Members

More or less, yes, that's correct.

Some of us were warning about this many moons ago and were quickly poo-pooed as complainers. But it's not a fair shake, and there's less and less individuals putting stuff on Ebay because of it, they post it to CL or forum classifieds first and use Ebay as a last resort.

• Members

It's based on some sort of algorithm that is difficult to understand or figure out.

I'm lucky that I'm "Grandfathered" in. That is, my number of transactions and other scoring methods they use to determine the risk to them that holds are not placed on my account (not yet, at least). I've had a couple of 2K magnitude transactions with no hold.

If you're new, and sell a high priced item, than yeah, it sucks.

Don't balme E-Bay or Pay Pal though. It's the friggin scammers. Even Craigslist is not immune, they work that too. I once rec'd a phone call from an 800 number once. I was informed that the person on the other end couldn't use the phone, and had to use an intrepreter as they typed. As suspected, it was the old "I'll give you more than you want for it if you will take a money order and ship it to a out of country address..."

• Members

Yeah, I can understand it in some cases, but I've sold a lot of things on ebay and have never had negative feedback. In fact I've been with them since '99. I think they flagged it because I haven't sold anything in the past 12 months. Here's my ebay feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jdvmi&ftab=AllFeedback

• Members

More or less, yes, that's correct.

Some of us were warning about this many moons ago and were quickly poo-pooed as complainers. But it's not a fair shake, and there's less and less individuals putting stuff on Ebay because of it, they post it to CL or forum classifieds first and use Ebay as a last resort.

And the price goes up once it hits Ebay as well to compensate for the crazy fees they charge, so CL is definitely your best bet unless you just have to sell it quick.

• Members

I wouldn't be so sure about the 'grandfathered in' bit. I've been w. them for a long time and even when folks were posting about the hold, they didn't touch my transactions (including some very high $$$ amount items).

However, they held the payment for the Virus Ti that I sold about a month ago. Based on a quick analysis, it looks like this is what triggered this particular hold -- the buyer was out of the country (Mexico) and he was new to eBay and to PayPal. I had no problem w. the guy since he emailed me before bidding and told me the situation. I got a positive vibe from him and said OK.

PayPal said they would release the hold if I could provide positive tracking proof that the buyer received the item. I bitched to them saying -- Look the buyer contacted me before and explained he was new, the buyer selected the shipping method and it wasn't fair for me to force the buyer to select UPS or FedEx, which would have been 5 times the cost just to get tracking.

After about a week of back and forth emails, their investigation mysteriously completed and I had the funds. It didn't wait until the buyer left feedbck - they released it before then.

It looks like they're going overboard to protect buyers and making sure they retain new customers.

• Members

I successfully performed a transaction under those rules and it worked out fine. The buyer doesn't need to receive the item to release the funds hold, Paypal just needs confirmation that the item has shipped.

I provided this confirmation and had UPS hold my item at the transit warehouse. When they released the loot, I had UPS continue with shipment.

The buyer was also new to E-Bay and Paypal so I'm sure that factored into why these stipulations came up.

• Members

I successfully performed a transaction under those rules and it worked out fine. The buyer doesn't need to receive the item to release the funds hold, Paypal just needs confirmation that the item has shipped.

I provided this confirmation and had UPS hold my item at the transit warehouse. When they released the loot, I had UPS continue with shipment.

The buyer was also new to E-Bay and Paypal so I'm sure that factored into why these stipulation came up.

That is great advice in case it happens to me. I am planning on selling some stuff in a month or so (after tax time). None of it will be quite so expensive, but I do want to protect myself in case there is a hold put on the funds. My feedback is well over 300 but I have not sold much in the last year or two. Wfie has got stuff to sell too.

• Members

well ebay just didnt work for me...i have listed various items from my collection here - around 5 i think - NONE sold and 1 which sold, sold for silly money like 10 euros so i was forced to ask the buyer to cancel cause shipping would cost more...also they charged me around 15 euros for the fees which I CANT pay cause i have a problem with the email i got registered which no longer exists so they cant identify me as the owner of the account...in a couple of words i DONT like it i prefer old fashiioned adds or sell stuff via various sites...

• Members

ehh, i've made a ton of money selling stuff on ebay over the past few years. except for a few cases i've almost always been able to get what i ask for items (i generally only list as 'Buy It Now'). the fees suck, but there's really no other way to reach so many people at once.

plenty of good deals buying as well.

• Members

So, what this means is that I have to ship my S90ES to the buyer without really recieving the funds and then the buyer could still dispute the transaction regardless if it was as described and the buyer liked it. So I could be out the S90ES and Money and I would be screwed. WTF???

You won't be out any money if you ship the item using UPS or Fedex Ground so you can prove delivery (make a screen print of the tracking webpage showing the item was delivered).

If the buyer disputes the condition of the item then they have to ship it back to you at their cost.

The only real difference here is the 21-day hold on the funds by PayPal. I wonder if those funds would be released earlier if the buyer posts positive feedback for you?

• Members

if you want ebay to change their policies, you should email them. if enough people email them and make them realize fewer people are selling valuable items on ebay because of their new policies, theyll probably realize theyre losing money and change their policies. for a while now we have only listed items on ebay as a last resort.

mini

Archived