What Overdrive for a Totally Clean Amp?

• Members

i don't know about your amp, cause i don't have one, but the ocd totally rules with my jcm 800. fantastic pedal with a very wide useable gain range. it has more gain than i would have expected from a pedal i always thought of as an od. enough to work as a distortion for me, but it's very amp like and amp responsive, and usable as an od at most of it's gain range. i don't know a ton about od pedals though. if i were goin for a marshall type of deal, the DLS is truly awesome. i thought long and hard about getting one, but didn't in the end, 'cause i need just a bit more gain than it will provide. i'm also really intrigued by the black forest. i really want one and by all accounts it's awesome.

• Members

I love a good Toobscreamer. My Analogman Tubescreamer smashes arse, and not in a SRV way (though it can do that).

Recently I have been using the Skreddy Screwdriver Deluxe as my main dirty pedal, and it is quite remarkably versatile. I don't know whether it excels at all it's applications but it can do a lot. It sounds great with my Strat, and at low gain it sounds fantastic with my 335. But it sounds like {censored} with my Les Paul Jr., which is not really being my best mate at the moment. I may sell it and build a Tele.

• Members

Now that I'm using many more cleanish parts I prefer to use either my Black Forest or the Plimsoul the same way. I wish I was stacking amps where I could just choose one for clean, another for grind and another for dirt. But, playing out is becoming increasingly rare and doing that kind of setup is a bitch for me, especially considering any gig I play is going to start about 2 hours past my bed time.
:lol:

You bastard!

You ignore me in preference to bitching and moaning about your bedtime? See if I ever offer you a Tubester tourbox !!!

Dammit, where is Goodhonk? I need a shoulder!!

• Members

In general one of the high end boutique style tube screamer clones would probably suit your needs best, and specifically a Keeley modified Tube Screamer. There are a million demos on youtube, here is one. I love mine and use it all the time. You can use it as a boost for solos, as your main dirty rhythm sounds or however else you want. Its got a wide range of tone from just slightly breaking up to a well overdriven endless sustain sound. If I only took one pedal on stage with me it would be this one.

Archived