dat stinkin geetar

bieke

• Members

last week, I asked for your help how to clean a nicotine/tar infected guitar that had been standing in a smoker's room for 35 years ...

naphta, soap and some cotton balls soaked in mystery from the local antique store did the job

I now have a soapy smelly guitar, with a hint of tobacco

:cool:

nao with pics

• Members

so, errrr
I never owned a Stratocaster, figured I'd get a strat style guitar instead and got this of eBay for 60$

aria_strat.jpg

it's a early seventies Matsumoku Aria, I also got it because it had PUs made by Maxon and a roller bridge and JM style tremolo
hmmmm, after I gave it a setup I briefly played it and did not like the sound, it didn't even sound like a Strat
nothing sounds like a Strat

• Members

ah well, I got an Alleycat Relic Nocaster last year, really happy with it
I noticed Alleycat was blowing out a batch of reliced Strats and he made me an offer I couldn't resist
got a '62 Strat from Alleycat, liking it so far
it's not a Fender but it sounds like one

62_strat.jpg

• Members

oh yeah, we forgot to tell you....extreme nicotine exposure will actually POT the pickups, removing all their natural jangle and rattle.

You need to take it all apart (AGAIN) and soak the pickups in distilled spirits of HCFX, which is the one known substance caustic enough to remove the goop.

...just sayin

;)

• Members

then I saw a guitar for sale, I liked it, seller wanted 1350 euros for it
I offered 1000 euros and the Harmony above
settled the deal
I went to his place and played the guitar,
liked it a lot, it had been standing for 35 years in a room that he used for smoking, he did not play it much
but the guitar was totally covered in nicotine/tar, I did not notice it when I bought it, but later on at home and during practice it became a stinkin gooey tacky sticky staining guitar, so I tried to clean it (which took me over 2 weeks)
it's OK now

really happy with my presumably 1973 Gibson ES-325

es325_00.jpg

• Members

yeah well I wrote last week that it was a guitar that somehow does not have a good reputation and that it was more popular lately
the reputation thing is because it is one of the Norlin Gibsons I guess, and Gibson freaks do not like the controls, swith and input mounted on a plastic plate (still very practical)

the popularity is partly because of that band, errrr
Kings of Lean (had to look them up)

tumblr_kqftt7Rax91qa2cjdo1_400.jpg

• Members
Tasty. If you ever consider selling that Gibby, PM me!

honestly, I think I'll never sell it, of all guitars I have ever played, this is the one that really suits me best, and I am really happy the way it sounds

es325_00.jpg

it's all original apart from 1 screw (which is probably influencing the sound in a good way) and I replaced the tuners (they were not original) with old tuners from a 50s Gibson Les Paul

• Members

a bit AC-4 like, it sounds great on its own, I finally have a guitar amp that my GF can stand having around in our living room
she's even using it
anyway, you can hook up a cab to the Philips and then it sounds sweet, really, really great, I'm loving this amp

GEDC0132.jpg

• Members

Well, at least it was only $60 (or did you mean Euros?). You could try to put a regular strat-style bridge on it... And replace the pickups...

hmmm, the idea of replacing the bridge never came to mind

don't think it would work, or I would have had to drill through the body

the Maxon pickups were fat and dark sounding, probably the best thing about that Aria

also, it was just a 3-way switch and with single volume and tone controls

build quility was okay, it was a heavy guitar

body was a little more assymetrical compared to a Strat,

and it was a refin

anyway, after I gave it a set-up I played it for a week and put it aside, so I just traded it

Archived