Sort of Off Topic: Compression/Reverb/Mic Recommendations for Recording

• Members

Im planning to expand my recording set up in the next few weeks. Im using a Tascam 38 reel to reel as well as four track & eight track cassette recorders for demos and rough takes to conserve reel to reel tapes. I don't have a good compressor or reverb unit and could use a couple of different mics for different applications. My budget for the reverb and compressor is around $400 for both and around $600 for mics. The mics I already have are a Blue Bluebird Condensor (which I've had great luck with), a Beta58, a Sennheiser e609 and an SM57. Lately I've been doing demos for myself and friends' bands and need to expand my mic collection a little bit. Ill probably get a couple more sm57s but don't know what else would be good.

Any recommendations on mics/compression/reverb for this application?

• Members

I've been out of the recording game for a while, but I'm sure you're going to get answers along the lines of:

What are you recording? What do you want from the devices you're buying?

If you want to record live drums for instance, I'd suggest a pair of small diaphragm condensors (I have Marshall Electronics MXL603's which are cheap and work pretty well for me) and a large diaphragm dynamic kick mic (AKGD112, Shure 52, EV RE20 etc. - I have a Peavey 520i which is surprisingly cool for the $), and use your other mics for snare/toms. The Peavey (and classic LD dynamics the RE20 and SM7) also work well for thickening up reedy voices (eg. mine).

But if you want to record strings/guitar amps (and have at least 2 decent preamps, which you haven't mentioned what you're using), a pair of ribbon mics like the cascade fatheads may be a better use of your mic $.

In terms of cheap compressors, the FMR RNC ($249 US new I think) gets good reviews for transparent compression, good on vocals, acoustic guitar, and across the mix bus, but is not flash on bass guitar. And, it doesn't have the "character" of some compressors. Then again, desirable character compressors tend to be expensive.

For reverbs, I really don't know what to recommend - I'm leary of cheap hardware verbs, the ones I have used I have hated, and your budget is low. If you're typing on a mac, what about spending $200 on Logic via the app store - you can use the built in audio setup and you will then have access to space designer for reverb, as well as all the other plugin effects and instruments that come with logic.

Steve

Archived