Ultimate Support "V" Stand: Anyone?

GigMan

• Members

No offense but Nightsynth's X-Stand is precisely the kind of stand that has all the weight and pressure of the keys/playing on one pin at the center of the X. Danger Will Robinson !

I use a QuikLok Z-Stand in my studio that gives me close proximity of my two keyboards (a heavy CP-300 on bottom and a large Yamaha 9000-Pro on top) but has balanced load distribution due to the stand design. I've used it out on gigs already - easy enough to setup/teardown but I like my Monoliths better.

Freinds don't let freinds use X-Stands.
:D

Exactly how did the X stand fail? Did the pin snap, or did the hole the pin goes into fail? Or was the pin not seated all the way into the hole and slip out?

• Members

Pro, what is the footprint of the Monolith when folded? Appears that it would lay flat and probably encompass about 3' x 4' - is that about right? How do you transport it? In a case or just by itself, laying flat across the top of other gear? That's the only thing that looks like it could be awkward, unless I'm missing something on how it folds.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric:

I think you got it. When folded the two-tier Monolith stand is about 3' wide x 3' high by 1" deep (I just measured mine). There's no case, and yes you just fold it flat and lay it across or under your other gear. Because it folds nearly flat it's easy to carry.

• Members

Exactly how did the X stand fail? Did the pin snap, or did the hole the pin goes into fail? Or was the pin not seated all the way into the hole and slip out?

My X-Stand was a different design - it had a "gator teeth" center locking mechanism that you hand-tightened. It appeared reliable, but it simply gave way under the weight of my two keyboards while I was playing and CRASH !!! :eek:

I've had some of those center-pin X-Stands and none ever fell on me, but after what happened to me I just had to rethink the whole concept of relying on an aluminum pin the thickness of a pencil or less for holding my gear up. Many newer stand designs are simply better.

• Members

Wow, that's some warehouse/rehearsal space in those pics - w/big ole' bins of cables and giant rolling anvil cases of gear...
:thu:

Nightsynth, do you play in a touring band? Also, which is the model of Quiklok 2nd tier arms that you use (which you say you got as an add-on) that allows you to have it so close to the 1st tier?

No, I work in the PA business. This is my dad's shop. I work with him and freelance as well as a FOH engineer. I have the fortunate experience of having that shop to practice in. We set up some pretty rediculous PA sometimes. It's alot of fun! I'll have to post a picture or two when it's all set up. The only downside is that we have to usually tear down at the end of the night because it gets in the way of that pesky -work- thing.

• Members

I can see the concearn with the X-stand, but I haven't ever had a problem either. What brand were you using Pro? It would be good if they put a pin on each brace of a double brace though. It would make it even more stable.

GM, I can't remember the model on those add on tiers. I got them for $10 from a music store that was going out of business. I'll try to make it down to the shop tomorrow and see if there is a model number on them.

• Members

Eric:

I think you got it. When folded the two-tier Monolith stand is about 3' wide x 3' high by 1" deep (I just measured mine). There's no case, and yes you just fold it flat and lay it across or under your other gear. Because it folds nearly flat it's easy to carry.

The "folds flat" part is good but the 3 x 3 part is not: I wheel in my gear in to gigs strapped down on a cart (except for the humungous S90ES, which is in its own wheeled case):

r8_1.gif

...the 3ft. long part is fine, since you can see from the pic the cart is pretty long - but the 3 ft. wide part would make the Monolith M92 stand stick out too much on either side of the cart, which would be problematic in getting thru the narrow hallways, corridors, kitchen pathways of banquet halls, hotels, etc... My QL642 is only 26" wide - the length of the legs (that go on the floor)... and even w/that it sometimes is tricky getting thru where I need to go & it gets caught here and there, coming around corners or getting in elevators if it's a tight approach... :rolleyes:

• Members

GM: stand the Monolith upright and lengthwise on your cart and bungie it to your other gear. I use a cart similar to yours - no problem.

Nightsynth: I don't remember the specific model of X-Stand I had that failed and for all I know it may not be made anymore. It doesn't matter because I'm not out to convert the world - just passing on a warning about a true incident. If you feel like trusting a single aluminum pin with your gear that's up to you... the weakest link and all that.

• Members

GM: stand the Monolith upright and lengthwise on your cart and bungie it to your other gear. I use a cart similar to yours - no problem.

It may work for you but I'm not digging that scenario - I'm looking to lay things flat in a pile on my cart, not stand them up... that seems a bit awkward, no? :confused:

I'm having a hard time even picturing it as you describe, Pro - can you post a photo?

• Members

This looks just about identical to the ones I have...

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=137&sName=QLX-3

And I think this is the stand model...

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=225&sName=QL-610

The QL642 is the one I see most often as far as touring bands go and it really does position the 2nd tier quite far from the 1st. This option would allow you to make it a little lower.

The weight capactiy states 225 lbs., and weight ratings are usually pretty conservative. I'm pushing about 100-115 lbs. at most so I'm not too worried about it collapsing...

• Members

The reason why Ultimate Support names it the Apex is because when you put a weighted 88 on it, your keyboard gets launched like a catapult when someone leans on either back edge of it.

Or it could be that their design was the Apex of stupidity?

Or the Apex of Phallic Keyboard Stands?

The Ultimate V works for me, but I use a bench to play. If a drummer doesn't stand, then I don't either. Playing an expression and sustain pedal at the same time as a mod wheel and a keyboard with aftertouch isn't a jig that I've mastered while standing, and maybe I'd like to occasionally chew my nicotine gum at the same time. I have the second tier and it's solid, plus I like how the width is adjustable to handle smaller synths, since my R3 or X50 fit on that tier.

Archived