Lovepedal Lil China Cot50.....made in China?

• Members

anyway if you are sick of opening up $200 pedals and seeing a handful of cheap components inside it's time to learn to make them yourself... I started after buying and opening up an MI Audio boost and buff and just thinking "seriously, that's all it is??"
:lol:

I did that about 2003 with my woolly mammoth and i was like "there is ten quid of components here where the {censored} has my other

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, that's possible but more to the point.. anyone who thinks more expensive components will always sound better is... well, wrong. There's usually one reason people use expensive (or more likely 'expensive looking') parts and that's to help them justify an over inflated price. You say you 'expected it to look more boutique and on veroboard' and that's what it's all about .. 'Perception' of quality ... someone on here posted a review of a 'made by mike' pedal on here a while back and I did have a little chuckle when they commented on how amazing the pots felt. .. that's not to dis Mike, it's just that I know that he uses the same pots as 99% of the diy and small builders on this forum and the main reason we all use them is because they are cheap and good. Personally I think a PCB looks far more professional and expensive than a lump of vero, but like I said it's all about how you perceive it.

anyway if you are sick of opening up $200 pedals and seeing a handful of cheap components inside it's time to learn to make them yourself... I started after buying and opening up an MI Audio boost and buff and just thinking "seriously, that's all it is??"
:lol:

I see your point there. With the cheap components used, how much do you think the total cost to make this pedal....? About $30 or less?

• Members

I know Sean gets a lot of heat for the Amp 11 / Timmy fiasco but, to me, they are some of the best sounding drive pedals in a live environment.

they sound OK, pretty average OD. A few mods makes them a lot more fun IMO.

• Members

I see your point there. With the cheap components used, how much do you think the total cost to make this pedal....? About $30 or less?

probably yeah... but my point is even using more expensive components it would probably only cost a few dollars more... I mean a cheap ceramic cap is a few cents, a typical film cap is what 10 cents? if we say $30 of parts even with more expensive parts it's only gonna be a few more dollars more in parts but they'd probably charge $30 more for the "best quality hype hype parts" ... so when you look at it like that, it's actually more scammy.

• Members

probably yeah... but my point is even using more expensive components it would probably only cost a few dollars more... I mean a cheap ceramic cap is a few cents, a typical film cap is what 10 cents? if we say $30 of parts even with more expensive parts it's only gonna be a few more dollars more in parts but they'd probably charge $30 more for the "best quality hype hype parts" ... so when you look at it like that, it's actually more scammy.

Yea really.....$120 profit per pedal.....hmmmmmmm

• Members

5 resistors (1c/p), 1 transistor (10c), 2 diodes (10c/p), one pot (80c), 4 caps (10c/p), 2 feet of wire(2c), 1590B ($4), knob (80c). Labor, a couple bucks for the Chinese ones, whatever Sean feels like charging for the "hardwired" ones.

Archived