BAT Black Forest; The Depth knob - Wat do? Can it cop a Tubescreamer?

• Members

So I've been listening to clips of the Black Forest on an off for awhile in my search for a OD to drive into my Mesa Nomad. The amp has typically worked best on the drive channels to my ears with a TS-like circuit (which Mesa doesn't?), pushing the mids through and tightening things up a bit.

I was wondering if anyone here with a Black Forest can go in to detail for me on the depth knob. I've seen videos stating the the knob on the first position 'emphasizes the mids', and I was hoping it would be a good stand in for a TS. I know it's definitely not a TS at all, but I'm really looking for a certain mid presence that the TS gives that other OD's I've been dinking with haven't.

If not, any tips on some TS corksniffery?

• Members

[video=youtube;dIhgX6TCcaE]

I made this video of the Black Forest right after I got mine. The Depth knob in the first position doesn't sound like it emphasizes the mids to me. It sounds transparent all the way to the left and the more you turn it to the right it seems to add weight to the signal. More ballsy, especially in the low end. That seems to work better with the fuzz increased. I tend to use mine more as a clean boost with the fuzz all the way down and the level up. I have my depth control on the 2nd position from the left though and it seems to just make my amp's dirt channel roar. It doesn't sound anything at all like a TS to me, but I'm sure you would like it in your setup.

Archived