Novation X Station 61 - piano sound

thecrayonset

• Members

Noob-keyboardist / guitarist looking at this as a good all-rounder for a) home recording and b) also for gigging.

Some reviews saying piano sound is weak - any thoughts?

Any similiar keyboard at similiar price which might have stronger piano sounds? Band is indie pop /rock (rem / arcade fire ). Other key sounds (for playing live) would be organ, xylophone, elec. piano.

Thanks

Rocky

• Members

Some reviews saying piano sound is weak - any thoughts?

A guitar has a weak trumpet sound; it's a matter of using the right tool for the right job. Any (virtual) analog synth is going to give you an imitation of a piano.

Any similiar keyboard at similiar price which might have stronger piano sounds?

Not with that load of sliders and knobs on it. If you don't need them but just the sounds, a Yamaha MM6 might do the job - if that's too expensive, you'll have to see if you can get lucky with a Casio WK or Yamaha PSR.

• Members

That is a MIDI controller, it doesn't have ANY sounds, apart from virtual analog synth engine inside. So don't expect realistic sounds, only synthy.

On the contrary, it has 9 sampled waves beyond the basic waves and noise:

8 ORGAN

9 HARPSICRD

10 ELECPIANO

11 SLAP BASS

12 RHODPIANO

13 RHOD TINE

14 WHURLY EP

15 CLAVINET

16 ANA BASS

That's not as much as the DWGS/PCM waves on the R3/Radias, but it's better than nothing. There's no acoustic piano, only electric pianos, and nothing multisampled of course. Regardless, it gives greater depth to the engine to have these sampled waves, unlike some other VA synths like the Ion/Micron.

• Members

thanks all - particularly to xml dude. Pity on the acoustic piano sound front - it seems like a strange omition (to this noob)? so I guess back to the original Q - is there something similiar to the Novation X-1 (i.e price c. $500, midi controller / synth) with a nice acoustic piano sound??

• Members

The x-station is a great general purpose controller and audio interface with a pretty decent synth as a bonus; I'm quite happy with mine. You could easily add a piano module to it if you need a little piano. If piano is your dominant instrument, though, you'd likely be better off looking for a stage piano with midi out; the touch will be more piano-like and it should have a decent piano sound. 61 keys is pretty marginal for piano playing.

The omission of a piano sound isn't actually strange. Synthesizers don't make piano sounds; for that you need a sampler or rompler.

• Members

thanks all - particularly to xml dude. Pity on the acoustic piano sound front - it seems like a strange omition (to this noob)? so I guess back to the original Q - is there something similiar to the Novation X-1 (i.e price c. $500, midi controller / synth) with a nice acoustic piano sound??

If there's anything brand-new in the

And before anyone bitches that they're hard to use, they're not :p If uneducated white trash like me can figure it out in 15 minutes in the music shop, anyone can!

• Members

On the contrary, it has 9 sampled waves beyond the basic waves and noise:

8 ORGAN

9 HARPSICRD

10 ELECPIANO

11 SLAP BASS

12 RHODPIANO

13 RHOD TINE

14 WHURLY EP

15 CLAVINET

16 ANA BASS

That's not as much as the DWGS/PCM waves on the R3/Radias, but it's better than nothing. There's no acoustic piano, only electric pianos, and nothing multisampled of course. Regardless, it gives greater depth to the engine to have these sampled waves, unlike some other VA synths like the Ion/Micron.

Not only that, it also has some single-trigger enveloppes (LFO) you can use.. Including one to do piano.

I haven't been able (nor have I tryed) to do a realistic piano sound, but my EP sounds are pretty good, and if they'd been intelligent and added an "organ speaker sim" in the already big effects section, this thing could have done organ very well, too (Maybe if you add a Leslie sim stompbox...)

• Members

I have an X Station 49 and it has some really excellent electric piano sounds. I recently did a recording session at my studio with new age music pioneer Steven Halpern who was famous for his Fender Rhodes sounds back in the 80's, and he was very impressed with the electric piano sounds on the Novation.

Archived