NPD! Well, three new pedals: Katana, BB Preamp MB, & 808

• Members

Got some new pedals in the mail the other day and thought I'd share my thoughts on them so far! Here's a pic of the rig (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics)

IMG_1645.jpg

Untitled-1copy.jpg

I'll give my thoughts on each pedal in case you guys were curious. I'm running the 808 - BB pre - Keeley.

Maxon OD 808: Your typical tubescreamer 808. I actually sort of dig this pedal as my 'clean tone' , it's very transparent and gives a nice mild amount of dirt. Just what I was looking for, though I have yet to dial in any super creamy tones.

BB Preamp Midboost: I had meant to order the BB Preamp Comp, but the MB seems to do the trick just fine for me. It's definitely compressed enough and has a mid boost switch which is nice for some high mid clarity. I'm a BIG fan of stacking it with my tubescreamer for a bit of a heavier tone. Like the 808, SUPER clear and transparent, which is an awesome quality. I have the gain cranked really high, and when stacked with the TS, gives me some pretty chunky rhythms.

Katana: This may be my favorite pedal of the bunch, simply because I've never had the luxury of a pure boost pedal before. This thing is awesome! Okay, it doesn't do much, but it adds a tiny amount of gain and makes my lead tone sing. In the past, I've stepped on a clean boost and sometimes it'd pierce the ears of the audience. This thing boosts my volume, but keeps my tone crisp and doesn't hurt anyones ears- just puts me over the top.

I guess I haven't had enough time to explore much of the negatives of any of these pedals, but they are a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over my GT500 and Dark Matter, what I was using before. They let my twin tone shine through while coloring it in a clear, and concise way. Because the pedals are so transparent, all three stack super nicely for a great lead tone that I have been taking advantage of.

Let me know if you have any questions, but thought I'd share my experience. Gigged with them last weekend, best tone I've ever had!

• Members

To be honest, I didn't before, but now I do : ) The twin didn't take as kindly to the GT500 and darkmatter, but with the new pedals, it sounds great.

I've always had trouble with it being SUPER bright, which was great for the cleans, but a bit piercing for the distortion. It's got a ton of headroom and the cleans are great, and now I'm getting it to sound really nice. Solid amp if you're looking for something loud. It definitely has better cleans than the hot-rod deluxe- the HRD is a very nice, neutral tube amp, but doesn't do anything special for me.

• Members

Why do you say that? Maybe there are better options, though I scored it for $650 off craigslist in like new condition (not a typo)

Playing in a cover band requires such a versatile range of tones- it certainly provides a great clean palette for me to color with pedals.

• Members

Lol, I guess my username is deceiving. I also have a Peavey XXX and an Edwards E-RV-138 for my metal fix. Haven't been playing much metal lately though, I'm in a cover/original band that plays a wide variety of stuff in bars

good choice in amp then. :phil:

yeah, the new pedals should help fill in the mids.

Archived