lava pedal board cables?

Amigo

• Members

I love the sound of these cables but I've had them fail on me countless times.

anyone experience the same problems?

Only problems i've had with them is from incorrect assembly, once I figured out how to do it the best (after doing 20+ cables) i havent had an issue since. The trick i found is to strip it about 1/8 of an inch further then they recommend, insert them into the ferrule and fold back the ground wires. It should leave you with quite a bit of the shielded cable sticking out of the ferrule, cut that back so it's barely above the end of the ferrule, and then assemble. No issues since i started that method. If you leave them even then sometimes the grounds not folded over enough and when assembling can bind and hit the signal needle in the tip, cut it further back to resolve that issue and the shielded part sticks up to far to assemble it correctly.

• Members

Solder them.

I tried them but I thought they were too smooth for my taste and I went back to George L. I solder all my cables that can be used for "solderless" connectors. I've never had one fail on me since I started soldering them. Before that they would short out after a year of solid gigging and some interstate touring from the vibration from the road and stuff. :o

• Members

Solder them.

I tried them but I thought they were too smooth for my taste and I went back to George L. I solder all my cables that can be used for "solderless" connectors. I've never had one fail on me since I started soldering them. Before that they would short out after a year of solid gigging and some interstate touring from the vibration from the road and stuff.
:o

how exactly do you solder them? where do you put the solder? I'm really bad at it.

I think this may be my issue as I tour a lot and fly my gear around.

• Members

yeah I do this and build them properly, I even had the guy from the store I bought one from assemble one for me (and he claims he hasnt had any fail) and it still failed.

:idk: I would take OMB's advice and solder them or get a different kit that you an solder.

• Members

how exactly do you solder them? where do you put the solder? I'm really bad at it.

I think this may be my issue as I tour a lot and fly my gear around.

It's pretty much like regular cable...strip the ends and solder the shield to the sleeve and the center connector to the tip. It's like anything else...a little practice and you'll get it. A good pair of wire strippers helps and a quality solder iron with a temperature gauge is key...get the iron up to about 700-720 degrees. It's just cable so you don't have to worry about frying electronic parts with the heat that high. There are a few good videos on YouTube that can help. I use the short barrel Switchcraft end pins and the pancake angled connectors. They save space on your board. Sometimes you want to use the angled barrel connector if the jacks on your pedal are too close together (usually for stereo pedals).

Archived