OT: Rattle in pickup selector switch

dkerwood

• Members

I bought my Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro a week and a half ago, and yesterday I started to notice a metallic rattle. Finally pinned it down to my pickup toggle switch- in the middle position it has a little bit of play back and forth, and when I play a D#, it vibrates sympathetically, creating a buzzing rattle.

I've pulled the plastic tip off, and while that does decrease the buzz, it's still there. The outer ring is still plenty tight, so I'm pretty sure it's that inner mechanism that's causing the noise.

Any of you guys have tips for taming this noise? I'm planning to try a string change to see if that helps- I'd imagine these are still the stock strings. Anyway, the axe was flawless when I picked it up... it's frustrating to be running into these issues now that I paid for it.

• Members

Or... I'm just trying to see if this is a common problem. I'm certainly not going to ask Guitar Center to fix a guitar, as they have no luthiers who can do such a thing. I'll probably drop it by my luthier if I have time before I move out of the area, as it could probably use a setup, BUT I'd like to know if this is common.

• Members

Or... I'm just trying to see if this is a common problem. I'm certainly not going to ask Guitar Center to fix a guitar, as they have no luthiers who can do such a thing. I'll probably drop it by my luthier if I have time before I move out of the area, as it could probably use a setup, BUT I'd like to know if this is common.

its a switch man {censored} happens, gc has luthiers....wat u tlakin bout homie

• Members

There is a metal spring inside the switch that causes the contact, it most likely just needs to be bent a little and squeezed a bit tighter.

You don't need a luthier to fix that.

Thank you. This is exactly the information I needed.

Archived