POD HD

sparkfriction

• Members

who playd it and can me tell more about the Amp-models? About the sound etc.

im still not in the position to spend much money for a new amp (or my personal dream the Axe Fx II) but i need something to record... i need a few different amp-moddels (sounds) for some side projects.

yeah and i want the M-Series effects. The plan is to skip the m5/9 and take a pod hd bean.

opinions?

• Members

If you need something to record with, why don't you bypass the hardware modellers and just go full software? Between Amplitube 3/GR5/THR-2/Softube there's a bunch of sounds that can be layered to sound just as good if not better than any POD.

Save your money, Benny!

• Members

If you need something to record with, why don't you bypass the hardware modellers and just go full software? Between Amplitube 3/GR5/THR-2/Softube there's a bunch of sounds that can be layered to sound just as good if not better than any POD.

Save your money, Benny!

i did it! agreed the software stuff sounds amazing this days. but now i need soemthing to record at different places far away from my DAW. :(

• Members

good question - dunno... something about the overall tone quality. how usefull the models are in different situtaions. recording, praccy/jams maybe live over a P.A. is just a handfull of the amps "ok" and the most are crap... just the overall opinions from the guys who playd/tested one. Yeah and the overall pros and cons of the HD in generally.

P.S.: nope, the Yamaha THR 10 is not a option for me... but its really a sweet box for sure!

• Members

There aren't as many amps as in the XT but there aren't as many dud ones either, (except the park which is just a waste of time cause its the same as the plexi but less pleasant in the top end) Tweaking the microphone and cab models matters a LOT.

"Does it sound good over a PA" is a tricky question I've discovered because there are so many variables involved there that aren't down to the unit itself, lets just say that if you're familiar with the pros and cons of DIing its as fine a unit for that purpose as any other.

One thing that ought to be mentioned is that if you're using dual amps you run into the DSP limit quite quickly

• Members

I finally gave up on my HD500 and went back to a tube amp because I was a) overwhelmed by option anxiety and b) got sick of all the level issues among the different amps, effects and hardware settings. For what I do, the flexibility (and the complexity that goes along with it) was overkill for my needs - I spent too much time tweaking and fretting over options than I did actually playing. That said, when you got things properly dialed in and put it through a good amplification system, it sounded great. So if you need the capabilities they offer, I think you will be very happy - if you hate tweaking . . . not so much.

• Members

I finally gave up on my HD500 and went back to a tube amp because I was a) overwhelmed by option anxiety and b) got sick of all the level issues among the different amps, effects and hardware settings. For what I do, the flexibility (and the complexity that goes along with it) was overkill for my needs - I spent too much time tweaking and fretting over options than I did actually playing. That said, when you got things properly dialed in and put it through a good amplification system, it sounded great. So if you need the capabilities they offer, I think you will be very happy - if you hate tweaking . . . not so much.

understood. yeah i am a knobtwiddler for life. Sure i love a good simple tube-amp setup, but i am not afraid to edit parameters... i love it to have as many options as possible.

• Members

I had the POD HD400 for about a month. I used it for mostly recording. In the end I found that the amps did not do it for me. I wasn't getting the tones I wanted. It does work for very clean sounds, and heavy distortion. What I was looking for is more of a slightly overdrive Vox or Fender.

Yea, the FX are good, but you can get those in the M9 too.

• Members

Then you should go for it - it can do some really impressive things. You can combine parallel and serial effects paths, beat sync a bunch of effects (parallel trems in different time signatures can be very, very cool) and mix and match amps and cabinets. If you like the tweakability, I'm not sure anything else short of the Axe-FX gives you as many options.

Archived