... after getting his Yamaha U3 home?

My guess:

- a Hammond B3 with Leslie 960

- a Rhodes Mk V

- a Wurlitzer 200A

- a Hohner D6

- he will buy the whole symphonic orchestra and lock them in the basement

- a giant battery to power all this stuff when electricity is out

- hell, he will buy General Electric and have his house always free of blackouts, no matter what!

:-)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually think he'll keep the piano, but buy back some more electronic keyboards/synths down the road.

He'll fall in love with the simplicity of the piano and its brilliant tone, but then decide "wait, I'd like to hear an ARP bass under this" and then order maybe a cheaper synth like a used MEK.

And then he'll decide, I need some drum beatz...and then order another MPC or an SP404.

And then he'll build up his studio to its previous glory, all the while retaining his beautiful new instrument.

I'm going to act rashly today as well. I am opening up a savings account called the YAMAHA C6 account.

This account will collect funds until years down the road when I've bought a house in Chicago large enough to accomodate it.

C6L.gif

While I think DLP's decision was certainly unexpected and perhaps too unplanned, I think it's a great symbol of why I fell in love with keyed instruments. NOT aftertouch, NOT polyphony, NOT 8 oscillators.

The piano, ladies and gentlemen, the piano.

//speech

• Members

Next, DLP will learn a strong lesson about how selling a used piano means a ginormous loss compared to the price of a new one.

I'm really not an idiot, you know. I'm very much aware of exactly how much I've spent during this process, and it's more calculated that perhaps you imagine.

And, I've been playing with all the COOL TOYS! :idea::D:wave:

At least some of you (akliner, hamburgler, Doug, etc.) can see where I'm at. :)

• Members

I'm actually trying to understand DLP, but I can't. From my standpoint, when I get a new toy, I'm gonna lose a great deal of time trying to explore ALL the innards and caveats of it, and sometimes I'll bump into a nice surprise (everyone, did you know that Korg X5D has a touch wah effect? :p)

Seeing that DLP has (or, should it be "had"?) the rig I'm still dreaming of (PC3x, Andy, Blofeld) I can't justify his action 100%. But, that's purely the difference in our personas. I like to tinker with the stuff, while exploring them. DLP is more of a life-tinkerer, who explores what feels good to him. And that is good, but only to a certain extent.

I just hope that he won't give up on this one. Getting the piano is easy, getting rid of piano... eh, not so much.

PS: although this topic is for the lulz, we can also share serious thoughts about this. So, CR, feel free to do so! :thu:

• Members

PS: although this topic is for the lulz, we can also share serious thoughts about this. So, CR, feel free to do so!
:thu:

Honestly, I'd rather not. I'm not DLPs dad, and I'm sure he doesn't care about my opinion on this... actually I think he'd probably be mad at me if I said what I really think about all this.

So let's just watch and lol along :thu:

• Members

DLP is more of a life-tinkerer, who explores what feels good to him.

I love that!

Gentlemen, I'm also older than some of you, which makes a difference. Not in wisdom, but very much in timeframe.

In my early 20s, I was very happy with a very simple instrument set up, and I was very will to spend vast amounts of time exploring them in detail.

At work, I was also happy to dig deeply into complex code, program in C and assembly, and use UNIX wherever possible.

Now, I'm looking for simple pleasures at home, and at work I want to knock out quick solutions in C# and work on Windows systems.

I'm sure some of you will empathise to an extent...!

• Members

Back around 2002-2003 I totally gave up electronic keyboards for about two years and only played the piano. I even took lessons again. It was awesome.

I didn't sell my synths, but all I had was my Motif, a Roland JV1080, and a MU80 module. But they didn't interest me.

I got back into synths after a couple of years, and got re-energized when I bought a used Virus Indigo. I liked it so much I bought the TI Polar, and then started getting more and more stuff. Which I've started selling off again. And will likely continue to keep selling, because I feel my interest waning.

I could easily sell all of my hardware synths, except for my Motif which I still play in the silly classic rock band I'm in. But I would NEVER, EVER sell my Yamaha U3, unless it was to buy a new piano.

Archived