Harmonic Table MIDI controller?/SPAM: Novation ReMOTE 61 SL

plaid_emu

• Members

I'm starting to believe the traditional "keyboard" is an outdated and creatively restrictive concept and should be cast aside for different and exciting methods of note input. How many of you have seen the C-THRU Music Axis-64 & Axis-49 or the Opal ?(beuatiful!)

[YOUTUBE]pQ4nPcGCGIs[/YOUTUBE]

The way the notes are laid out means there's no mental acrobatics involved when transposing scales, playing fifths, triads or even augmented chords. It looks so easy it's almost like "cheating"! :lol:

Ponder this simple comparison, if you will:

Standard keyboard = Standard weights and measures (having to REMEMBER how many ounces in a pint or how many quarts make a gallon etc.)

Harmonic scale keyboard = Metric system of weights and measure (No need to memorize all those silly conversions. Simply move the decimal point!)

What do you guys think about these controllers? Why aren't more people using these things? :confused: I only learned about them early last year, but they've been around for quite sometime now. You would think more prominent musicians than just Jorden Rudess would want to play one.

Yesterday at work, I was obsessively preoccupied with impure thoughts of harmonic table controllers and how useful they could be for an extremely fresh approach to composing with synths. So therefore...... SPAM! Who wants my outdated dinosaur of a MIDI controller? :p

Novation Remote 61 SL: About 1.5 years old. In perfect working order. Never left the house. Non-smoking home studio. Always kept a dust cover on it when not in use. Do you REALLY need to see a picture? If so, I'll do it if you're seriously interested. Ships snug and cozy in the original factory packaging.

$450 shipped! PayPal only, please. Shipping ONLY in the Continental US. Here's my ebay feedback: http://myworld.ebay.com/plaid_emu

You can also contact crazycarl and LePera as references. They both recently bought synths from me.

• Members

I use an AXiS-64 and I really enjoy it. It is great for composition, but not as wonderful (for me) to play traditional piano pieces. Your hands don't naturally fall into a 'home' position.

This is coming from someone who only had a few years of formal piano training.

Coming up with interesting progressions that stay in key is a wonderfully easy process on the AXiS.

cheers

ripe

• Members

Looks like a very inspiring and innovative piece of gear. I want one. Jordan can pretty much sell anything, but I really think it is the Axis that's the business. Can they make a budget version and I could really see myself getting one of those. Great composers tool!

• Members

Axis key layout:

harmonic_table.gif

compare to chromatic button accordion layouts:

388px-B-Griff.svg.png

or

388px-C-Griff.svg.png

All three are based around a repeating hexagonal grid (less obvious on the accordions) and all three share the feature that any set of intervals uses the same shape regardless of the individual notes (check, say, a C triad in first inversion and compare with, say, a D7 or F#7 chord in first inversion; they will be the same ).

If I had money to burn (I don't) I'd seriously consider checking the Axis out. Of course, I don't know how it feels (it is, after all, a keyboard) or if I could adapt it to my style of playing. Let's see if Rudess ever uses it onstage.

• Members

button accordions
have been organised around the harmonic relationships for a hundred years or more

and yet...

Axis key layout:

m
compare to chromatic button accordion layouts:

m
or

m
All three are based around a repeating hexagonal grid (less obvious on the accordions) and all three share the feature that any set of intervals uses the same shape regardless of the individual notes (check, say, a C triad in first inversion and compare with, say, a D7 or F#7 chord in first inversion; they will be the same ).

If I had money to burn (I don't) I'd seriously consider checking the Axis out. Of course, I don't know how it feels (it is, after all, a keyboard) or if I could adapt it to my style of playing. Let's see if Rudess ever uses it onstage.

WOW! Maybe I've been playing the wrong instrument the past 17 years. Does the Roland V-Accordion transmit MIDI? ;)

Archived