Xo white finger??? Opinions??

mr benn

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever View Post
I have the big box instead of the XO. It's an excellent comp, and I'm pretty sure it would sound great on bass. For electric and acoustic guitar I prefer the BlackFinger.
Just the man I was hoping to see/hear wink.gif

Care to elaborate on the pros/cons of the big box version? (I'm guessing its similar to the xo design)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mr benn View Post
Just the man I was hoping to see/hear wink.gif

Care to elaborate on the pros/cons of the big box version? (I'm guessing its similar to the xo design)
Never tried the XO, so I'm not sure if they are identical in sound, but they are definitely identical in features.

It's an extremely flexible compressor pedal with lots of range in all the knobs for accuracy and customization... which might be a turn-off for guitarists who prefer plug-&-play simplicity. But I've used it on vocals, electric piano, drums, and bass.

It can definitely do all the shades from transparent limiting to all-out signal squash.

• Members
Never tried the XO, so I'm not sure if they are identical in sound, but they are definitely identical in features.

It's an extremely flexible compressor pedal with lots of range in all the knobs for accuracy and customization... which might be a turn-off for guitarists who prefer plug-&-play simplicity. But I've used it on vocals, electric piano, drums, and bass.

It can definitely do all the shades from transparent limiting to all-out signal squash.
^ I concur with all of this.

I've yet to use a compressor that doesn't get noisier in the upper ranges.
Exactly. idn_smilie.gif

I'd actually describe the White Finger as a quiet compressor - it provides more than enough compression for me a long time before I have any issues with noise. (Of course, if your rig is already noisy, then even slight compression will magnify it to problematic levels.)

Quote Originally Posted by mr benn View Post
so it turns out that there's both a large box and an XO for sale locally, for almost the same money??
not sure which to take??
wave.gif

Assuming they do indeed sound/operate the same (I've never used the XO)...

The case for the XO version:

It's smaller (which is a benefit if pedalboard space is an issue)... that's about it really....

The case for the classic version:

It's bigger and looks cooler.
On a more serious note though: if given the choice, I'd take the big box version (if the prices are around the same) just from a 'service' point of view... having had to do minor repairs on other XO and big box EHX pedals, I find the older style ones are much easier to work with (imo) and maintain.

Archived