Look Ma - TWO Digital Pianos (S90ES & RD300GX)!

GigMan

• Members

That's cool but the surface are you're describing (the open area on the top of the S90ES) is sloped, not flat... how do you get that stuff to stay on there (on the S90) - velcro?

Hi GigMan,

I apologize for manifesting so late in this thread, but last Sunday I purchased a new RD300gx which kicks butt. I have an 88 key ATA rated SKB case that I can use for my new RD but its 35 pound weight defeats the purpose of carrying a light board such as the 36 lb. RD for local gigging where my 51 year old back has to load it in my snug Ford Focus station wagon. The Gator GK88, SKB88, and the Kaces III 88 semihard "lightweight" wheeled cases are unfortunately a hefty 25-28 pounds.... Gimmee a break.

Do you (or anyone else in this thread) have any suggestions for lightweight (

BTW... I agree with your dad about the Casio PX320. Its a great value, reasonably good sounding board that I came damn close to buying, but I went for the RD300gx because I need its realtime pitch bend/ modulation wheels, one-touch controls, and the larger LCD display for the on-the-fly, unrehearsed pick-up blues gigs I routinely do.

• Members

Hi GigMan,

I apologize for manifesting so late in this thread, but last Sunday I purchased a new RD300gx which kicks butt. I have an 88 key ATA rated SKB case that I can use for my new RD but its 35 pound weight defeats the purpose of carrying a light board such as the 36 lb. RD for local gigging where my 51 year old back has to load it in my snug Ford Focus station wagon. The Gator GK88, SKB88, and the Kaces III 88 semihard "lightweight" wheeled cases are unfortunately a hefty 25-28 pounds.... Gimmee a break.

Do you (or anyone else in this thread) have any suggestions for lightweight (

BTW... I agree with your dad about the Casio PX320. Its a great value, reasonably good sounding board that I came damn close to buying, but I went for the RD300gx because I need its realtime pitch bend/ modulation wheels, one-touch controls, and the larger LCD display for the on-the-fly, unrehearsed pick-up blues gigs I routinely do.

HSS - welcome to the party. ;)

That is a great question - what decent soft-shell cases are there that are study yet lightweight... for the Roland RD300GX? I am in the sam boat, I need a good case for my RD300GX: I took my 300GX to its 1st gig in the box a few wks. ago... took it to a small acoustic trio gig last night (acoustic as in no electric gtr. and no drums) bare naked! :lol: Carried it into the restaurant in my arms - of course, I had scoped out the weather to make sure it wasn't going to rain or snow...

Even the Gator "semi-rigid" model looks decent but has too much "slop" - excess room... it's not a tight fit and would require some home-made padding or polyurethane blocks or something.

It's nice that these case manufacturers make their cases big enough to be able to fit many different boards in them - but I would actually consider paying a premium price if they (or the keyboard manufacturers themselves) made custom, tight-fitting cases for specific models... like for my Yam. S90ES and for my Roland RD300GX.

BTW - I followed the same reasoning as you when I bought the RD300GX: I was looking for a lightweight 'board as an alternative to the S90ES I'd just bought - something w/decent sounds but some flexibility. The Casio PX320 has a few nice sounds but the lack of a pitch bend or mod. wheel is limiting, plus getting around from sound to sound is cumbersome. It is a heck of a lightweight machine for someone mostly using just piano sounds though - only 25 lbs. and it has a built-in speaker system. I may have find a nice used one down the line myself - then I'd be a "tri-piano" man, having an S90ES, RD300GX and a Privia PX320! :lol:

• Members

You want to pack your lightweight sweetheart around, safely and cheaply? Just use the box it came in.

(Always keep the box, if you possibly can.)

They're great to schlep your keys around in, because they're purposely designed, in the first place, to crate the instrument so that it can be safely shipped (by pretty well whatever means) anywhere in the world.

Built to be as small, light, and tuff as possible, they're the epitome of efficiency.

The non-scratch styrofoam padding is precision-cut to fit perfectly around the instrument for solid support and protection.

After almost five years and few a hundred gigs, my XK-3 and RD still enjoy trucking in their "cardboard sheaths".

Wanna keep it in serviceable shape? Use a roll of good packing tape to reinforce the seams. Wind a few horizontal wraps around the whole shebang. Heck, you can "cut and paste" all you want (or not)....slim it down, alter the lid, whatever.

They only weigh, like, what? - 2 pounds?...

and...they're already paid for!

• Members

You want to pack your lightweight sweetheart around, safely and cheaply? Just
use the box it came in

(
Always
keep the box, if you possibly can.)

They're
great
to schlep your keys around in, because they're purposely designed, in the first place, to crate the instrument so that it can be safely shipped (by pretty well
whatever
means) anywhere in the world.

Built to be as small, light, and tuff as possible, they're the epitome of efficiency.

The non-scratch styrofoam padding is precision-cut to fit perfectly around the instrument for solid support and protection.

After almost five years and few a hundred gigs, my XK-3 and RD still enjoy trucking in their "cardboard sheaths".

Wanna keep it in serviceable shape? Use a roll of good packing tape to reinforce the seams. Wind a few horizontal wraps around the whole shebang. Heck, you can "cut and paste" all you want (or not)....slim it down, alter the lid, whatever.

They only weigh, like, what? - 2 pounds?...

and
...they're already paid for!

Boogi88:

I'm glad that works for you [using the original cardboard box that your keyboard(s) came in] - but it is not an acceptable solution for me, for several reasons:

Weather

What if it rains or snows or freezing rain comes down in a torrential downpour when you're loading/unloading? Then your cardboard "case" is reduced to mush, I don't care how thick it was to begin with. Do you live in a place where it never rains/snows? :confused:

Size

The cardboard boxes are actually longer than the cases - so when you say, Built to be as small, light, and tuff as possible, they're the epitome of efficiency. - I have to disagree w/you. :p

Portability - Wheels

There's no wheels on these cardboard boxes - I have one helluva time moving my Yamaha S90ES, even in its Gator Case w/wheels on it. If I'd left it in its cardboard "sheath" as you say, it'd be an absolute nightmare to move it in and out of the gig venues. :rolleyes:

• Members

You already got your free clue, remember? :

"lightweight sweetheart"

Um... I have no idea what that means.

Unless... :idea: if you're meaning, that I should use the box for the RD300GX specificially (the 300GX being the "lightweight sweetheart" I guess) & not use the box for the S90ES - then I still disagree w/you and still think all the points I raised before are valid objections & still apply to the 300GX. I did bring the 300GX to a gig in its box and found it unwieldly - no handle, no wheels... and I do us a heavy-duty handcart w/wheels but it's still easier to roll giant 88key digital pianos in on their own wheels, under their own "power" - and in a cardboard box you can't do that.

• Members

That's cool but the surface are you're describing (the open area on the top of the S90ES) is sloped, not flat... how do you get that stuff to stay on there (on the S90) - velcro?

Actually I use a couple of those little rubber potholders you typically use to keep pots and pans from burning your table top. They work great, and the slope/tilt actually allows me to see the mixer better from a seated position. Then they serve double duty because I lay them on top of the mixer in my cord suitcase to keep the knobs from getting damaged.

• Members

HSS - welcome to the party.
;)

That
is a great question - what decent soft-shell cases are there that are study yet lightweight... for the Roland RD300GX? I am in the sam boat, I need a good case for my RD300GX: I took my 300GX to its 1st gig in the box a few wks. ago... took it to a small acoustic trio gig last night (acoustic as in no electric gtr. and no drums) bare naked!
:lol:
Carried it into the restaurant in my arms - of course, I had scoped out the weather to make sure it wasn't going to rain or snow...

Even the Gator "semi-rigid" model looks decent but has too much "slop" - excess room... it's not a tight fit and would require some home-made padding or polyurethane blocks or something.

It's nice that these case manufacturers make their cases big enough to be able to fit many different boards in them - but I would actually consider paying a premium price if they (or the keyboard manufacturers themselves) made custom, tight-fitting cases for specific models... like for my Yam. S90ES and for my Roland RD300GX.

BTW - I followed the same reasoning as you when I bought the RD300GX: I was looking for a lightweight 'board as an alternative to the S90ES I'd just bought - something w/decent sounds but some flexibility. The Casio PX320 has a few nice sounds but the lack of a pitch bend or mod. wheel is limiting, plus getting around from sound to sound is cumbersome. It is a heck of a lightweight machine for someone mostly using just piano sounds though - only 25 lbs. and it has a built-in speaker system. I may have find a nice used one down the line myself - then I'd be a "tri-piano" man, having an S90ES, RD300GX and a Privia PX320!
:lol:

Hi GigMan,

This is just an update

• Members

Nice - where'd you buy it & what do they run?

I purchased the YBS881 bag from "Focus Camnera" in New Jersey (where you live) for $119 with no shipping.

http://focuscamera.com/product.asp?id=964675309

I've since noticed that they have raised the price to $129, which is the same as several other vendors (e.g. Guitar Center). If you notice in my previous post, the price for the bag was $117 at "Digital Photo Club", but I'm not sure about the shipping cost.

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/fr...ate=3_5_200 9

I hope all of this helps.

• Members

GM: I recently bought a Hammond XK3c and the case I chose for it is one of the new SKB roto-molded cases. Having used it several weeks now I really like it. I was using softcases for my keys but found that they worse out easily, especially the zippers... or maybe I'm just hard on them. The new SKB cases really fits a nice niche between soft cases and rigid ATA cases both in terms of protection and price.

The keyboards are held in place with these plastic "corners" which stick inside the case via velcro. If that sounds flimsy it's not. Once you get the keyboard in it's not going anywhere. That leaves space around the keyboard which further protects it and leaves room for cords etc. The case is light and strong with a lifetime warranty.

I'm waiting for Gator's new slimline 88 roto-milled case to become available to replace the softcase for my Kawai ES4 piano. Just thought I'd mention the new roto-mills if you are still case shopping.

• Members

GM: I recently bought a Hammond XK3c and the case I chose for it is one of the new SKB roto-molded cases. Having used it several weeks now I really like it. I was using softcases for my keys but found that they worse out easily, especially the zippers... or maybe I'm just hard on them. The new SKB cases really fits a nice niche between soft cases and rigid ATA cases both in terms of protection and price.

The keyboards are held in place with these plastic "corners" which stick inside the case via velcro. If that sounds flimsy it's not. Once you get the keyboard in it's not going anywhere. That leaves space around the keyboard which further protects it and leaves room for cords etc. The case is light and strong with a lifetime warranty.

I'm waiting for Gator's new slimline 88 roto-milled case to become available to replace the softcase for my Kawai ES4 piano. Just thought I'd mention the new roto-mills if you are still case shopping.

The YBS881 HSS got for his RD300GX sounds great & I prob'ly will do same for my 300GX... but that roto-milled deal might be nice for my S90ES - the Gator Case I already got for it is huge and has way too much extra room w/out the tight-fitting plastic corners you describe on the roto-deal. If the S90ES makes a tighter fit in the "roto" case I'll get it and then look to sell the GK88R case I have now. :cool:

• Members

That's awesome - finally, a tight fit on a keyboard case...
:thu:
I can't wait to buy one.
:eek::love:

Although, I'm guessing that because of the tight fit, there's no room for the300GX's sustain pedal and/or ac adapter in there? Ah well - you can't have everything... a tight, secure fit w/no room for accesories beats a loose fit w/accessory room any day.
:cool:

Hi GigMan,

There is an external pocket on the YBS881 bag that has enough room to put the sustain pedal, wallwart, and a couple of cords. I used it yesterday afternoon at a gig.

BTW... the internal fit for the RD300gx is such that you have to load it in on the bottom (wheeled) end of the bag first, where the one remaining foam end pad is. You then slide ("squeeze") the other end of the RD in at the top. If you recall, you need to remove the top end foam pad for the RD to fit. This is not a problem because it is detachable.

For reference, here is a link to the pianoworld forum where I first learned about the bag for the RD300gx from a post by "MonksDream".

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Forum/6/topic/005915/Number/0/site_id/1#import

• Members

The YBS881 HSS got for his RD300GX sounds great & I prob'ly will do same for my 300GX... but that roto-milled deal might be nice for my S90ES - the Gator Case I already got for it is huge and has way too much extra room w/out the tight-fitting plastic corners you describe on the roto-deal. If the S90ES makes a tighter fit in the "roto" case I'll get it and then look to sell the GK88R case I have now.
:cool:

Here are specs for the SKB Roto Molded 88 key case at this link....

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-SKBR6020W-Roto-Molded-88-Note-Keyboard-Case?sku=702939

Note on the specs that it still weighs 31 pounds, only 4 pounds less than the 88 key ATA SKB case, which I already have. As a result, I passed it over in my quest for a light weight wheeled bag/ case for my RD300gx.

BTW... In case you aren't comfortable with the Yamaha YBS881 bag for your RD300gx, I found another wheeled bag at Sam Ash that should fit the RD. It is made my "Groove Pak". I passed it up because a Sam Ash rep told me that it is not as padded as the YBS881. You might want to check it out though. Here is a link: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_1164H88%2088%20Note%20Keyboard%20Bag%20with%20Wheels_-1_10052_10002_-49961020_cmCategorySA182981

I hope all of this helps.

• Members

Here are specs for the SKB Roto Molded 88 key case at this link....

Note on the specs that it still weighs 31 pounds, only 4 pounds less than the 88 key ATA SKB case, which I already have. As a result, I passed it over in my quest for a light weight wheeled bag/ case for my RD300gx.

That is why I was recommending having a look at the new GATOR Slimline 88 roto-molded case, not the SKB. I don't have the specs off hand of the Gator Slimline 88 roto-mold (I looked several places and couldn't find them) but it stands to reason that a slimline 88 would be lighter and smaller than the standard 88.

That roto-molded SKB case is large enough to hold my Yamaha CP-300 (that's huge!) and SKB does not make a slimline version yet. But Gator does.

Gator's Slimline 88 Roto-Mold Case.

• Members

That is why I was recommending having a look at the new GATOR Slimline 88 roto-molded case, not the SKB. I don't have the specs off hand of the Gator Slimline 88 roto-mold (I looked several places and couldn't find them) but it stands to reason that a slimline 88 would be lighter and smaller than the standard 88.

That roto-molded SKB case is large enough to hold my Yamaha CP-300 (that's huge!) and SKB does not make a slimline version yet. But Gator does.

Gator's Slimline 88 Roto-Mold Case.

Yah - I'd love to get specs on that Roto-molded deal from GatorCase - to see if its a tighter fit for my S90ES... maybe I'll email them.

Meanwhile I think that soft-shell YBS881case will do for RD300GX, as it is very lightweight, yet seems to have some padding as well. Funny that Yamaha makes a nice tight-fitting case for the Roland keyboard! :lol:

That Groove Pak case looks like an unpadded waste of time. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry my mistake... You are absolutely correct. I was, as usual, lost in time and space and mistakenly referring to the SKB roto case.... I too am anxiously awaiting the specs on the new Gator roto cases.

• Members

I own most of the Roland Keyboards RD700, RD300, RD150 and many Yamaha's. However, the RD300 is my main gigging board because:

1- Sounds fabulous for virtually every sound in it

2- Has a small number of essential sounds that all sound fat

3- It's lighter than the rest

4- It is so easy to dial up splits and layers on the fly

5- The keyboard action is a tad bit lighter and shorter which lends itself to organ and synth playing better

6- Transposing can be done easiest and can be toggled on/off with a surface button click

While I have and love the RD300SX... I'd love a G... the enhancement in the sounds and the display make it an even better gigging board.

I play a RD300sx. The G has a little more piano like action.. if thats your thing. I like how simple the RD300's are. While it may not have a bazillion patches ,,, they do have the few you typically use if you are a keyboard player type. Organ piano and rhodes will get you through most set lists.

• Members

I got a response from Gator about that new Slimline 88 roto-milled case, and they don't have the specs for it yet! The case is still being designed (although it's already on some retail websites). Even so I think that's the case I need for my Kawai ES4 so I'm going to wait for it to come out.

• Members

I got a response from Gator about that new Slimline 88 roto-milled case, and they don't have the specs for it yet! The case is still being designed (although it's already on some retail websites). Even so I think that's the case I need for my Kawai ES4 so I'm going to wait for it to come out.

Yup i am going to have to buy a new case for my board too.... I like the soft skb I have now, but its got a zipper thats givin up the ghost. I am not sure what i am going to replace it with ,, I ran though this case in a year.

• Members

I got same response - to which I replied that instead of listing dealers where the product can be bought (it can't be bought yet, it's not out on market...) - they should say "NEW!" or something so that it doesn't get people interested and then frustrated at being unable to purchase. Getting customers interested in a product is fine - but be clear that the item is not yet available. :mad::rolleyes:

• Members

I got same response - to which I replied that instead of listing dealers where the product can be bought (it
can't
be bought yet, it's not out on market...) - they should say "NEW!" or something so that it doesn't get people interested and then frustrated at being unable to purchase. Getting customers interested in a product is fine - but be clear that the item is not yet available.
:mad::rolleyes:

That is pretty weird that the product isn't even finished being designed much less produced and shipped and it's already for sale on retailer websites. :rolleyes:

• Members

I haven't looked at the FP4 or 7 in a while, to be honest - if I remember the 4 was similar to the RD300SX but the display was not as nice as the 300SX, so I figured that since the 300GX is the latest model, the FP4 wouldn't really be worth looking at any more. The FP7 was too big - I think it's much heavier...

I think the FP4 was Roland's "home market" model, parallel (in features, size) to the RD300SX & the FP7 was their "home market" model, parallel (again in features, size) to the RD700SX.

Anyway - the 300GX really is a nice little puppy to have, a little bro' to my S90ES, if you will...
:love::lol:

Actually the new FP4 is almost identical to the 300GX I spent 2 months sampling both before selecting the FP4 over the 300GX and CP33. Roland virtually parellelled them with same sound sets, keybed, weights. The 300 has the alpha numeric display where the FP4 numeric :facepalm:

Congrats on the 300 though it's a great board.

• Members

Actually the new FP4 is almost identical to the 300GX I spent 2 months sampling both before selecting the FP4 over the 300GX and CP33. Roland virtually parellelled them with same sound sets, keybed, weights. The 300 has the alpha numeric display where the FP4 numeric
:facepalm:

Congrats on the 300 though it's a great board.

Ok... but just having the alphanumeric display over a plain numeric one is enough to sway me to the RD300GX over the FP4. ;)

I'd love to see Roland incorporate the jog wheel on the 300GX, like the jog wheel of the RD700GX (to eliminate my pressing the "Inc./Dec." buttons furiously, trying to find the patch I need) but I suppose that would increase cost of production and therefore retail cost to the consumer... :rolleyes:

I suppose I could get "Setups" going and all too but the 300GX is so easy to use on the fly (press "Piano" then press "Strings" - voila! instant layered sound...) I may never bother. :facepalm::lol:

Archived