Have you ever tried to discern a previous owner's lifestyle from packing materials?

ripe

• Members

Once found a roll of tape and a sharpie marker inside the box. "Where'd I put those damn things? Oh well, there's no time."

Another time a box arrived missing one entire side. It was basically a cardboard bucket with a Roland S760 in it. It still worked though!

Strangest ever was a SCSI card I ordered for a Macintosh. The box arrived with all materials except the card itself. Instead there were three decks of playing cards and a NuBus video card. Got an immediate full refund and some good laughs with the seller. ;)

• Members

one other note -- a seller in Europe shipped something to me via the postal system. It was packed well, no problems, except that the seller used on old whiskey or bourbon box. The post office dudes saw that, thought I was importing alcohol, and it was a huge hassle that ended up with me having to open the thing in front of the postmaster to prove it wasn't booze.

So, when shipping international, be careful of which box you pick.

• Members

I bought a Mackie mixer from a friend, and when

I opened the box, there was a cat toy inside.

When I thanked him for adding something extra

for our felines, he informed me that it was his cat

who had dropped it in the box, not him.

I think I got off pretty easy, considering some of the

things cats are capable of leaving where you least

expect them...

• Members

I bought a Fender semi-hollow body Tele off eBay- I opened that case up, and it REEKED of pot. I mean, it literally smelled my house up! I had to put it in my garage over the weekend, with a wind-mover fan on it, and the garage door opened up just a couple of feet, and it STILL smelled!

A few weeks ago, I bought a Boss drum machine off eBay- it was advertised in "like new" condition. Opened the box, and found the following things clinging to the front panel and buttons:

Dried pizza sauce

Hair

A lollipop actually STUCK TO the unit. Maybe 90% eaten

Chocolate.

I promptly filed a chargeback thru Paypal, and got all of my money back in 10 days.

Best one:

I ordered a MacBook off eBay. When I opened the box, it was filled with brand new bath towels! They actually wrapped the laptop it's self in TWO towels, and the accessories in another towel. I counted 5 towels! I mean, brand new bath towels! I asked the seller about it, and she said that she wanted to be SURE that the unit arrived undamaged. I still use the towels.

• Members

I bought a Fender semi-hollow body Tele off eBay- I opened that case up, and it
REEKED
of pot. I mean, it
literally
smelled my house up! I had to put it in my garage over the weekend, with a wind-mover fan on it, and the garage door opened up just a couple of feet, and it STILL smelled!

same thing with my Lexicon delays... cleaned them off & kept them in the garage for a week so my studio would be a little less 420. my Prodigy was owned by a smoker, took about a month to lose its olfactic funk, not very easy for a moog.

• Members

since that time, I ask the seller if the item was a smoker's item or not. In the times that that they've said "no" and then I got it and it smelled of smoke, I've sent the item back and forced the refund.

for older gear, i could care less- the smell goes away. beware of gear with cigarette burns, you definitely don't want an ashtray.

this one took about a month to air out:

prod2.jpg

• Members

The dork who mailed out a TR-909 I bought off of placed it in a box with one piece of foam under it, layed the machine at an angle on top of that, and then placed a piece of foam on top and closed the box for mailing. Aside form the shoddy packaging, it functioned perfectlly and looked brand new. Hard to believe it survived a UPS trip from coast to coast like that...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived