B3 of synths?

pogo97

• Members

Not true at all. The other great and memorable organ sound of that time is the Rodgers sound of the Black Beauty.

first, i'd like to politely point out you're both wrong. the Hammond 3-series instruments and the Leslie 122 are probably the most important pop organ sound, but considering the organ at STAX was an M3 with no leslie for the longest time, and the incredible number of pop songs with Vox or Farfisa organs in them, it's definitely not "the organ sound that pisses in the mouth of all others."

and as far as the Rodgers is concerned, unfortunately it was never used for pop music, and i'm the only person i know who prefers the sound of the analogue Rodgers organ to the "ROMpler" organs of today.

i should mention that the recordings Virgil Fox did with that organ are the reason i like music at all.

also, a problem with the B3/Minimoog comparison is that the B3/122 was actually the final development of the state of that art (no improvements have been made since, and all "upgrades" resulted in a lower quality and less reliable instrument), and the Minimoog was the beginning of the state of its art (curiously, the same could be said about the keyboard monosynths which followed _it_, regarding quality and reliability.) other than that i'm inclined to vote for Minimoog though, as it's the only keyboard synthesiser i can think of that belongs in the same category as the piano, the pipe organ, the harpsichord, the Hammond organ, the Rhodes piano, the Wurlitzer piano, and the Clavinet. these are _the_ classic sounds. since the Minimoog the only sounds that i believe are the same sort of classics are the TB-303, the TR-808, and the TR-909, but those aren't keyboards.

• Members

Just sticking to synths (not romplers or controllers), do you think there is or has been an equivalent to the B3?

I think you mean a synth that functions as a 'prototype'. Others are based on it and try to emulate/imitate it.

For analogs and VA's, I'd say it's the MiniMoog.

There's a lot of digitals synths though, that are way off in different territory.

• Members

I think you mean a synth that functions as a 'prototype'. Others are based on it and try to emulate/imitate it.

For analogs and VA's, I'd say it's the MiniMoog.

There's a lot of digitals synths though, that are way off in different territory.

Yeah, there are plenty of digital synth type sounds that have now become standard fare. It's difficult however to say that the originators of some of these sounds are like the B3. There's too many classic sounds you can pinpoint from too many synths (Korg M1, Roland D-50, Yamaha DX7, and the early samplers such as the Fairlight CMI, Emu, K2000, and Akai libraries to name the biggest inspirations.)

Something should be said for these early digitals, though, because many of the sounds other digitals imitate today are directly inspired by these older synthesizers.

If we're going to talk VAs, the one VA that did change the soundscape is the JP8000. (Hate to admit this, because I am not a fan of the supersaw sound. But that concept *did* change the sonic landscape.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

IMHO... THe ARP 2600 was/ is second to the Minimoog in the vintage synth sweepstakes. I had one back in 1978-79 that I sporadically "slapped" while playing drums in garage rock bands. The ARP was mounted above my floor tom, underneath and between a ride and crash cymbal. I was inspired by seeing Edgar Winter live playing an ARP 2600 on his great instrumental "Frankenstein".

http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/arp.shtml

• Members

Definitely the Minimoog, funny HSS I was just thinking about the Arp.. The B3; however, is still in an iconic, ubiquitous class of its own. There were and are virtually no real competitors to the B3, you either have a B3 or you don't, no other rationale substitutions if you want "THE HAMMOND" sound, for the moog there were other original substitutes out there if you did not want the moog for polyphonic sounds......

Oh and the Triton Classic is the highest selling keyboard of all time I believe, it revolutionized the industry and the way people thought about workstations when it come out......

Archived