Future Retro ORB sequencer

soundxplorer

• Members

The more I look at the Orb, I want it. Quick, easy and fun! Aesthetically pleasing. That's a pretty satisfying tool.

Oh and the more often one sees the pics, the more Gaseous it becomes

orb6iy8.jpg

There definitely should be more hardware sequencers in this price range, but I think that something like this can get pretty boring, unless you're just looking to do simple sequences. Fun can get boring pretty quickly. If I had to look in this price range, I'd get a cyclus. The interface isn't as cool on the surface, but it's capable of quite a bit more. Now, this one would be nicer if you could do separate tracks of cv and midi - the xs permits you to control one oscillator with midi and the other with cv - that's pretty cool, but it doesn't look like this will allow you to do that.

• Members

I want to build one of those and a MIDIBox SID so bad it hurts!

I bought a midibox sequencer from ebay, without knowing that the fascists there are so crazy. I made the mistake of asking a question on their site, and they threatened me with legal action. They believed me that I didn't know that they forbid ebay sales of them, but that didn't matter. They wanted me to join in a suit against the seller. When I said that I just couldn't do that because he had been fair with me, they absolutely freaked out. I had a friend who had built one, and he eventually wouldn't help me because he was afraid that they would exclude him from their little 'community'. The funny thing was that the developer, Thorsten, or whatever his name was, actually did help me. It's his band of fan boys that are the problem.

In any case, I have this thing, and it has a problem. It's all built and works, except that it tends to heat up too much, and switch on and off after it's been on for awhile. I think that the fix is pretty easy, but I can't do it. I'll sell this thing cheap if anyone wants to work on it. Keep in mind that you may get sent to Guantanamo.

The other amusing thing there, is that they think that if you actually buy a sequencer, then you are a collector, and are not serious. of course, at the time that I frequented their site, there was virtually nothing there about actual sequencing, or using the thing. It was only about building them. I seriously don't like the whole aesthetic. It's mean, vindictive, and elitist.

• Members

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what basis they have for suing anyone who buys one of their cult objects. There's no contract, there's no copyright, there's no patent, there's nothing. They are talking out of their asses, and frankly if they sued me, I'd sue them back and demand they pay my attorney's fees in addition to punitive damages for having abused the courts for such bull{censored}.

You know who resorts to such tactics? The Church of Scientology.

• Members

I want to build one of those and a MIDIBox SID so bad it hurts!

Just do it then, the instructions on their site look pretty easy to follow and people sell kits with all the bits and boards you need. I'm planning on making one once I finish up the four DIY projects I've got on the go at the moment. :facepalm:

• Members

They can't sue you for selling their sequencer, right? you're taking money for the hardware (and labor), not for the open-source software it's running.

They do seem to feel that selling the sequencer (or any of the projects) without getting permission first is illegal. Whether that can actually be so, or not, I'm not competent to say. I do know that if you build one of their projects, and then sell on ebay without asking permission, you will incur their eternal wrath. And you will not get permission to sell on Ebay. You will not get permission to build these for a profit.

• Members

Still only a single track? Darn it.

If something like that existed that was easy to enter stuff into and could do about 12 tracks at once, I'd be all over it.

Basically like a monomachine without the sound engine or something. (Those are way too pricey).

Your wish is granted....!

But you have to build it yourself if you want to stay under several thousand.

So here's your options.

For $2000 you have Nemo:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/genoqs/nemo/

for $3500 you have Octopus:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/genoqs/octopus/

or for $2000 you have Schrittmacher

or if you can DIY for around $300-$500 you can build yourself

a Midibox Seq v3 or the upcoming v4

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq.html

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_v3.html

So for cheaper then you can by the Orb, you could build a Midibox Seq

with 8 Gates and 8 CV's instead of just 1.

The Source Code is available, if you want to implement your own "remix" feature..

Cheers,

Dave

• Members

Wait, so ebay itself is refusing to list these?

What is the legal basis for this? There's absolutely nothing that warrants this absurd bull{censored} from some ego-driven nerds with soldering irons, to think they can threaten a major legal power like ebay (their legal team is massive, guaranteed). Sorry, I call bull{censored}. Major bull{censored}. Fat, enema in your colon oh my that feels so wonderful don't stop I can't believe you are {censored}ing me in the ass bull{censored}. It's a huge lie.

• Members

Wait, so ebay itself is refusing to list these?

What is the legal basis for this? There's absolutely nothing that warrants this absurd bull{censored} from some ego-driven nerds with soldering irons, to think they can threaten a major legal power like ebay (their legal team is massive, guaranteed). Sorry, I call bull{censored}. Major bull{censored}. Fat, enema in your colon oh my that feels so wonderful don't stop I can't believe you are {censored}ing me in the ass bull{censored}. It's a huge lie.

Because he created it. He's created the programming and owns the copyright of it. It's up to him if he wants to sell or give it away.

It's the same for tracks that I've made. I own them. It's up to me if I want to release them for sale or if I want to have them distributed for free, or even resold (see the creative commons license for music which provides similar options of flexibiility for musicians. http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/ where you choose if you want to give it away for free but nobody can distribute it, or if you want to give it away for free and they can distibute it, or you give it away for free, but they can sell it and make money.) Essentially since you created it, you can choose what can or can't be done with it.

Whether you like it or not, it's his hard work and he chose to provide it free of charge instead of selling it with this caveat to help further and provide back to the DIY community.

His response if you don't like this, is that you are free to create your own project with your own code with your own rules. So feel free to create your own SID synth or Step Sequencer for DIY'er's but allow them to sell them...

Can't say that I necessarily like it, but that's the legal basis...

Dave

• Members

Your wish is granted....!

But you have to build it yourself if you want to stay under several thousand.

So here's your options.

For $2000 you have Nemo:

for $3500 you have Octopus:

or for $2000 you have Schrittmacher

or if you can DIY for around $300-$500 you can build yourself

a Midibox Seq v3 or the upcoming v4

So for cheaper then you can by the Orb, you could build a Midibox Seq

with 8 Gates and 8 CV's instead of just 1.

The Source Code is available, if you want to implement your own "remix" feature..

Cheers,

Dave

Signal Arts sequencer is $1500. Cyclus is about $595, the last I looked.

• Members

Because he created it. He's created the programming and owns the copyright of it. It's up to him if he wants to sell or give it away.

It's the same for tracks that I've made. I own them. It's up to me if I want to release them for sale or if I want to have them distributed for free, or even resold (see the creative commons license for music which provides similar options of flexibiility for musicians.
where you choose if you want to give it away for free but nobody can distribute it, or if you want to give it away for free and they can distibute it, or you give it away for free, but they can sell it and make money.) Essentially since you created it, you can choose what can or can't be done with it.

Whether you like it or not, it's his hard work and he chose to provide it free of charge instead of selling it with this caveat to help further and provide back to the DIY community.

His response if you don't like this, is that you are free to create your own project with your own code with your own rules. So feel free to create your own SID synth or Step Sequencer for DIY'er's but allow them to sell them...

Can't say that I necessarily like it, but that's the legal basis...

Dave

Whether it actually holds together legally that I could be allowed to build one, but not sell it, I'm not qualified to answer. I think that if one tried hard enough, one could distinguish differences between this and actually recording your own tracks. But their heavy handed approach is what really turned me off.

• Members

Whether it actually holds together legally that I could be allowed to build one, but not sell it, I'm not qualified to answer. I think that if one tried hard enough, one could distinguish differences between this and actually recording your own tracks. But their heavy handed approach is what really turned me off.

I'm not saying that I qualify for an answer as well, as these are just my own understanding of the situation.

I think it holds together legally just fine, if he's worded his license correctly (of course I can't seem to find the license on the website!). I was just using Creative Commons as an example, as they clearly show the various options for each of their licenses.

But what Thorsten is doing, is writing computer software. It might only run on a little tiny CPU that you have to build yourself but it software. Look at the Korg Legacy Collection. It specifically states in it's license, that one CAN'T resell it. You've got to just throw it away when your done with it. It's probably one of the reasons that they didn't get my sell on that (besides that I don't use "computers" in my producing)..

Here's the Korg Legaleze:

http://www.korguser.net/pdf/Agreement_English.pdf

You may not duplicate, alter, modify, rent, lease, resell, assign, loan, sublicense,

distribute the whole or part of the Licensed Program, or make

derivative works based on what is contained in the Licensed Program.

So he's not setting a precedent ... We're just not used to it from "hardware" manufacturers.

Dave

• Members

Ah it's the software that's being wrangled over, not the hardware design. That makes more sense.

So if someone built every aspect of the hardware other than the chip, they could sell as many of them as they wanted (unless the schematics are protected through patent) to others who could load up the software into an IC under the open license. Arrr, I'm a pirate!

Archived