Roland JD-800 vs. JD-990... I did wrong thing?

AnalogGuy

• Members

Hi guys. I live in Finland and I bought JD-990 2 years ago (mint, 450 euros) because I couldn't afford JD-800 (which was usually between 600-800 euros!!! God I hate these prices here in Finland!)... I just loved it's sounds but then I though some sliders would be great...

so, I made a thread to offer a trading my JD-990 to JD-800. At first I thought "this is ridiculous.. no one would trade JD-800 to JD-990 without extra money in millions of years..." but... after 2 weeks I was contacted by a JD-800 owner to trade it!!! And guess what? He even gave me 50 euros extra money just to trade his JD-800 to mine JD-990, because the condition of JD-800 was not so great cosmetically but however it's components were all serviced and fully working so I was really pleased (I always like and want to buy NOT mint for a cheaper because I like to buy things for a use and not just collect them for decoration... (that is a serious crime!!!))!

However... one year later... guess what? I wanted JD-990!!! The JD-800 was not sounding as great as JD-990! And the keyboard action was pretty much uninspiring...

So then I sold my JD-800 for 600 euros!!!! :lol::lol::lol::p

However... now I have serious problem; I just can't find JD-990 for sale!!! When I bought it first... there was about 4 units to choose from! And now I haven't seen even one for a sale for many months!!! Although I am very satisfied how I managed to make great profit about trade and selling but I am constantly asking myself; "Why I ever sold my dear JD-990???" :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

P.S Anyone got JD-990 sale for me???

• Members

I've owned both (two 800s and one 990) and actually miss the keyboards more. I did a gazillion more things with the keyboards than I did with the module too. The module is of course superb, though, and has many advantages - so I say one should have one of each. At least I'm currently looking at re-buying both.

• Members

Owned (2) 990s and one JD800.

The op amps are better in the 990- it has more attack and clarity in the sound, the 990 also has 8 outputs and can hold a JV expansion board.

Yeah, so no sliders, big deal, the big screen and soft keys on the 990 more than make up for that.

• Members

You should have kept both JD800 and JD990. JD990 has more options I think (osc sync, I think. Don can confirm this).

GET BOTH BACK!

The prices also got up, because it's highly sought after.

I know, but I just can't afford BOTH! Besides I hate JD-800's keyboard action and I have very limited space in my own room so I won't buy just because I do not have space for it.

• Members

Owned (2) 990s and one JD800.

The op amps are better in the 990- it has more attack and clarity in the sound, the 990 also has 8 outputs and can hold a JV expansion board.

Yeah, so no sliders, big deal, the big screen and soft keys on the 990 more than make up for that.

It's strange that I was able to get better and more inspiring sound out of JD-990 than from JD-800... also I just loved it's presets... like "Genesises" and "Look into Abyss". Also in JD-990 take the patch "Hybrid Strings" and mute all 3 tones except one vibrated sawthooth waveform and use mod wheel to control filter... AWESOME LOVELY BRASS!!! It was funny to have great brass sound from String patch... And then try same in JD-800's Hybrid Strings patch... not same at all...

You can hear it in my song; just go to site where I have my own songs http://www.mikseri.net/artists/analogy.106176.php and download the song called "Untitled improvisation nro 2".

• Members

Hi! I just bought JD-990!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

for 285 euros + shipping!!! It was cheap just because the screen light is dimming... how expensive and hard it is to replace that background light? Do I have to replace entire screen or just some flashlight layer???

• Members

how expensive and hard it is to replace that background light? Do I have to replace entire screen or just some flashlight layer???

Good question, I have a 990 in the same situation. Anyone else here care to enlighten on a fix? I've been meaning to call Roland tech on this, but my lazyness prevails.

• Members

Good question, I have a 990 in the same situation. Anyone else here care to enlighten on a fix? I've been meaning to call Roland tech on this, but my lazyness prevails.

According to Mr Solaris himeself, in this thread (http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29610745), it doesn't use El-Foil, so Telesis gear is out of the question.

I'vwe had two JV-880s with the same problem. Roland says no parts.

• Members

I GOT IT!!! :D:D:D:D

OMG!

The only word I can say when playing my JD-990;

NOSTALGIC!!!!

:thu:

I am soooo relieved now! :love::love::love:

I was thinking I couldn't buy another JD-990 for years!!!

Ahh... need to play it even more now... :love:

I LOVE IT!!!

Archived