How do I use mono effects in stereo FX loop?

drewph

• Members

I have an amp with a true stereo effects loop (2 send - 2 return). I own no stereo effects, nor do I care to. I know people think it's worth it to buy them, but when I'm only miking one speaker, it doesn't much matter. 

Anyways, this amp doesn't have a mono channel like some I've seen. In other words, there's no option for mono. It's stereo all the way. It's effectively like running two seperate heads in one casing. So I thought using a couple female to 2 male y adapters would effectively turn the loop into mono, but I was wrong.

y adapter

I've searched and searched and can't find an answer to this exact scenario other than "buy a stereo effect". I'm guessing perhaps an A/B switcher would work, but I worry about hum and I really don't want to have to use the space on the pedalboard. Anyone got any ideas?

And yes, this is the issue that finally brought me out of lurker status. 

• Members

what amp is in.

I'm guessing - like most stereo effects units, the Left inputs are the Mono inputs, as you dont HAVE to use stereo capable effects in stereo if you don't want to, you can always run then Mono. So I imagine the same is true for the effects loop.

First pedal in your signal chain goes to the Left Send. Last pedal in your chain (its output) goes to the Left Effect Return.

• Members

That's what I thought would be the case too. It's a Fender Mustang V.

What you described is the way my VOX is, and it's been pretty much the case for any amp I've ever come across as far as I know. But I swear this thing is wired like 2 seperate amps. When you try running either channel alone, as you suggested, you get one clean channel and one with effects. That could be useful to some, but it's not what I'm after.

This amp is ok, not bad for a modeler, but putting effects in front just sounds nasty. I disconnected one side of the cab to test what the effects loop had to offer, and the pedals sound great through it. I'd just like them through all four speakers. 

• Members

Well according to Fender, the Y-cable is the official answer to your problem. If you couldnt get it to work the first time, perhaps trying a different, higher-quality cable might work? (I know those adapter cables for a few bucks are usually okay but not always). If not you may want to look at either getting a little mixer or "pedal" built for you that does a similar thing.

Heres what Im referencing:

https://www.fender.com/support/articles/fender-mustang-iii-iv-v-effects-loop/

• Members

cakeguru 

I really only need an EQ pedal. This thing has many bells and whistles, but there's no way to add a little volume and mids boost for leads without creating an identical adjacent patch with the setting adjusted as so. I'd have to do that for every patch. That's just not feasible. Also, while it's got a great DS-1, rat, and overdrive, the muff and tubescreamer are meh. As with any modeler, effects don't play well in front of the amp. But they sound great through the loop (though only in one channel, thus the problem). It's just as easy for me to plug my pedalboard in as my EQ pedal, so I might as well run it all.

Tom

What you linked to is actually Fender's suggestion on how to run stereo effects in the Mustang 3's mono effects loop. It's got tricky wording and I looked into that. 

Now, I found the problem with my attempt and I'll go ahead and explain it just in case it may help someone else out that finds this thread in a search one day. The Y adapters are stereo female to 2 mono males. What I need is a mono split/multiplied into 2 monos. So because I am running a mono signal through a mono cable to the stereo plug in the Y adapter, it's only sending the signal to one side. I searched and searched for a mono to 2 mono Y adapter, and I don't think it exists. Every Y adapter I can find is designed to split a stereo signal, as I'd imagine that in 99% of cases that's the intention. I ended up just ordering a Morley ABY box. It seems like the only solution, and since I really don't need all my pedals with this amp, I'll make room for it. 

• Members

Well thanks for the helpful  contribution, ya turd. Why do you even respond if it's just going to be "sell it" or "that sucks"? Do you really think that adds anything of value to the conversation?  

I've got 2 other tube amps and they're heavy as ****, one likes to eat tubes like they're popcorn, and limited in sound. I needed something for gigging with a cover band  that plays an eclectic variety of music. It fits the bill  perfectly, is easy to lug around, and if an **** knocks it over or spills beer on it I'm not out much $. Sure,  there will be one guy like you at every gig that wants to dissect the tone as compared to his rig, but the other 99% will be  drinking and having a good time.

• Members

If you're going to use your pedalboard in the FX loop of your amp, just connect a 1/4" mono cable from the FX send (right or left won't matter in this case) to the input of your first pedal on your pedalboard, then connect another 1/4" mono cable to the last pedal on your pedalboard and use a mono female cable coupler to connect to this...http://www.hosatech.com/product/339926/CYP-103/_/Y_Cable%2C_14_in_TS_to_Dual_14_in_TS%2C_3_ft Then plug the two remainig 1/4" plugs into the FX return of you amp...

Archived