What's a Solina String Synthesizer worth?

TropicThink

• Members

Hehe, if you're so inclined to have a Solina, then for sure, go for it! They aren't cheap nowadays, and I actually think you're getting a good deal on it.

Yeah? You could be right, there's not a lot of them around. Apparently, only 100 were ever made. Still, that seems like a fair bit of money for a thing like that.

Hmm.

• Members

Personally I would buy it if...

You have the extra cash.

Want a collectors item

Don't mind fixing/having it repaired.

Feel that it is useful in your setup.

I think if it is in good condition,get it.It is a rarity.

You'll probably at the very least recoup the buying cost at a later date.

Here is the last one sold that I know of...

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/11/arp-eminent-solina-string-synthesizer.html

• Members

Personally I would buy it if...

You have the extra cash.

Want a collectors item

Don't mind fixing/having it repaired.

Feel that it is useful in your setup.

I think if it is in good condition,get it.It is a rarity.

You'll probably at the very least recoup the buying cost at a later date.

Here is the last one sold that I know of...

Cool. Thanks. I'll give the guy a call tomorrow and have a chat about it.

• Members

Personally, I wouldn't pay 5 bucks for "most" Arp stuff. A lot of their early keyboards, string machines, Arp Omni, were junk. I know, I own an Arp Omni II and still have an Arp Odyssey Model 3. Now, the Odyssey is a totally different animal than the "Arp Organs", which is the technology ARP used to create their string machines, String Ensemble, Solina, Arp Omni series. They are notorious for smoking power supplies and poor workmanship. My Odyssey is a REAL synthesizer. It sounds different than Moog, so that in itself was a selling point back in the old days.

You can buy any number of synths that can get something really close to Arp's string machine sounds. The unique thing about the String Ensemble was that it used multiple LFO's to color its "pure" organ BS sound.

Save you money and buy a modern synth. Get a good chorus unit, and knock yourself out.

Mike T.

Archived