JD73 Plays the Nord Electro 3 PART 1

goldphinga

• Members

Thought id make this specially for my fellow KSS'ers whilst i had it on load for my upcoming Future Music review- hope you like it. This first part shows clavs, pianos, cp80, strings. Part 2 to follow later today shows the organ..i forgot the rhodes and wurlies in this vid as i got carried away playing and had to give it back shortly after but ive got them in my stage compact so i can make a vid of those too soon...

Cheers

Dan G (JD73)

• Members

Sounds awesome! Man, this is getting very tempting to buy........

How did you find the action on the NE3? Are there any limitations to the various effects, amp sims, etc., that you wish the board did not have? You can control the wah with a pedal right - say one wanted to control the wah with one foot and the gain/distortion with the other - you could make that happen here, right?

Very tempting......

• Members

Dan,

First of all, killer playing! I would love to pick your brain about some of the concepts you are using during the piano solo section.

Secondly, have you had any issues like the ones I mentioned about being able to smoothly play piano sounds and soft and medium soft volumes?

• Members

Hey guys, thanks for the props..really appreciate it.

Let me try answer you questions..

First off ill make some Stage Compact vids with Rhodes and Wurly's for you all

Secondly, i really like the action on my stage compact and it feels pretty much identical on the NE3 though the compact feels slightly more spongey as it has the aftertouch strip under the keys to cushion the downstroke more..

Otherwise i really love this action, i find it very playable even for pianos and i got used to it pretty quickly. One thing to note with this particular waterfall keybed is that when new its a little on the stiff side and it may take a while to get used to-it certainly loosens up with more playing for sure so hang fire with it if you find its a bit stiff at first.

As for the effects, you could control the wah with your foot but as theres only one foot control socket youd have to tweak the gain/distortion by hand.I find the effects great on the whole though i wish it had an amount and a rate control like the stage and its also missing the stages delay.. other than that its a fine piece of kit.

hope this helps..

trying to get my hands on a Rhodes Mark 7 at the mo...

cheers guys

all the best

Dan

ps Mitch ill email you later on...

:o)

• Members

So, absent the amount dials on the effects, what is the "default amount" setting - full-on, 50%, etc..? Can the effect amount be customized/adjusted "behind the scenes" (up or down in presets), even if not available for real time control?

From what i recall, wherever you leave the control is where it stays until you move off that patch... you can save it on a per patch basis too...

• Members

Am I alone in noticing the lack of demos of the Vox and Farfisa sounds, or are they just not that good or something? I play in a sort of garage rock revival outfit (the bulletproof vests) and I play the NE2, so I'm limited to hammond sounds. I really want the 3 for the added Vox and Farf models, but don't want to go to the trouble or expense if they're not up to snuff. Would it kill someone to just play the riff from 96 Tears in their Stage or NE3 demos??

• Members

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the nice feedback, really glad you like em!

Im gonna make some more videos for you of all my boards coming up, the first im gonna make is a demo of the Nord Stage Compact's Rhodes, Wurly and Farfisa/Vox emulations (these are all the same as the NE3).

Its gonna take me a bit of time as im mixing down my new JD73 album 'SuperSexy' over the next 2 weeks but i hope to get the above done at least.

The other videos im gonna make over the next while are:

Moog LP

MemoryMoog Plus

Hammond B3 plus Leslie 122

Moog Voyager +moogerfooger pedals

Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard

Moog Source

Solina String Ensemble

Clavinet D6

Rhodes Suitcase 73

Korg MS20

Yamaha U1 piano

Yamaha DX100

Korg MicroKorg/Vocoder

Cheers again guys, love being part of this community

If you have any requests or questions please PM me or ask me a question on here

Dan :o)

• Members

thanks Goldphinga. I forgot to mention in my first reply how much I loved the demos you posted. I especially liked the string sections. It's sad that I've barely had my NE2 and have such strong GAS for the NE3.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Nice review, though overall very positive.

I missed that one drawback that I personally find really annoying - the patch navigation system. Y'know, those 64 banks with 2 patches in each... I'd like to ask a simple question: "why?". I really don't understand. It makes the instrument harder to use, I think.

Apart from that little annoyance, it's grrrrreat!

Archived