Time spent w/my Dual Rectifier,..interesting findings.

Cibyl

• Members

Originally posted by Cibyl

Thanks bro. I think it's really easy to get caught up in all the hype that comes along with the next "cool" boutique amp model that comes out,...when all along most of the work horse amp will do the job just fine. Don't get me wrong,....I love amps by companies like Budda, Bogner, Dr Z, Bad Cat, etc,....but staples like Marshall, Fender and Boogie are classics that will never go away.

Bill

hype is the key word there. i don't know if bogner belongs in there though. but that's a discussion for another thread! none the less i used my dual recto tongiht for the first time live. i've only had it for about 2 days now so i don't have much input but this thing is sounds great. i really haven't found a bad sound in it. tomorrow (tonight technically) i have a night off without travel. i plan on tweaking the amp a little more. unfortunately we're going form playing in a medium sized theater to an 80 person capacity bar then to a music hall and so on. so it's tough. not to mention hotels don't appreciate you cranking the {censored} out of tube amps at 1 am.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The recto is a great amp. I had one of the originalls (no. 1000 to be exact) and found so many killer tones in there. I remember using the amp ass backwards - like using the red channel for clean rythms and the orange channel for leads. Setting it to modern and then dialing in a vitage tone. Setting it to clean, but then cranking the gain to get it to do clean crunch. There were so many great tones in there. It's really to bad it has become associated with the drop tuned, knuckle dragging neanderthals because they are great amps.

• Members

I was in the position to get a new amp a few months ago. I still wasn't quite sure what I was gonna get, but I knew it wasn't gonna be a Recto. I was sick of the sound, plus everyone and their brother plays one. I bought a Bogner cab from Dominick (from this board) and when I went to get it, he had this Boogie head and I got to play through it. I was very, very impressed. Had the Boogie thump and hugeness w/ a more Marshally vibe than any Recto I had heard. Anyway, about the time a get the money for the head, Dom posts the DR up for sale. I figured that I should jump on it because it was one of the prized old ones. Let me tell you, after having had this head for about three months now and cranking it many, many times since then I can honestly say that this is the best Dual Rectifier I have ever heard. I jammed with a guy that teaches drums with me at my music school the other day. He's a real Jazz kinda guy. We ventured into some metal kinda stuff along the way and he said I had the best heavy tone of any guitarist he ever jammed with. I thought that was pretty cool coming from a Jazz drummer!

• Members

(B) Balancing the Treble and Mid:

The Recto is definitely a tweaker amp, which I actually don't like. But once you've found the settings that work just keep them there. I've found that finding a balance between the Mid and Treble key to getting that "cut" that some people say the Recto lacks on the high gain settings. Don't over use the Mid,..the midrange sweep on this amp is definitely in the low-mid spectrum so using a good amount of Treble can help to emphasize the midrange much better. Also, using EL34's helps a bunch,..I'm running SED's.

(D) Loves the C9 pre's:

This amp really likes the C9 preamp tubes and IMO sounds best with them, especially in V1 and V2.

Yeah, I like my Tremoverb with EL34's and C9's.

• Members

I got to play mine with output at around 2:00 and the master around 10:00-10:30...the loudest I have ever played it...holy crap, it really seems to brighten a bit when turned up (in a good way, almost like taking a blanket off of the speakers). It also tightens a good bit IMO.

Great amp...especially with el34s!

• Members

Man, I wish one of you "Pro Dual Recto" guys would come to my house and dial in my POS.

Cuz I've been tweeking for over three years and it still doesn't suit my tastes...

During every rehearsal and especially afterwards, I just want to take a {censored}in' sledge hammer to that thing. Burning it is my second choice.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This amp is taking all the fun out of my playing....

• Members
Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

Man, I wish one of you "Pro Dual Recto" guys would come to my house and dial in my POS.

Cuz I've been tweeking for over three years and it still doesn't suit my tastes...

During every rehearsal and especially afterwards, I just want to take a {censored}in' sledge hammer to that thing. Burning it is my second choice.

:mad:

The biggest complaint is the buzziness inherent in the voicing of the amp. You can bypass this a bit by running the gain low and the master (or channel) volume high. That way you get more of the tonal characteristics of the power tubes. My gain on my high gain channel is set at 10 to 11 o'clock. I have an intergrated quad in my amp. I definitely like my tone much better this way.

Of course, I amy be talking out of my ass as well, but give it a try.

• Members

Originally posted by Mesa-Maniacal

The biggest complaint is the buzziness inherent in the voicing of the amp. You can bypass this a bit by running the gain low and the master (or channel) volume high. That way you get more of the tonal characteristics of the power tubes. My gain on my high gain channel is set at 10 to 11 o'clock. I have an intergrated quad in my amp. I definitely like my tone much better this way.

Of course, I amy be talking out of my ass as well, but give it a try.

Thanks!

By having the gain so low (I have it around 1pm) can you still get the harmonic squeels and sustain???

Those are the two things I cannot seem to bring out of this map without having the gain a little higher and an SD1 pushing it...oh yeah, and I have an EQ in the loop too.

• Members

I've quickly found that putting my ts9dx infront of the amp with the gain at 0 and the volume at max I can get a huge solo type boost. Do you guys leave this on all the time? I could see why, it quickly pushes the amp up in a big way. Still no luck with the feedback in my effects loop.

You with the eq in the loop, whats the mix on your effects loop set at and whats it set at on your pedal?

• Members

Originally posted by StrykeBack

I've quickly found that putting my ts9dx infront of the amp with the gain at 0 and the volume at max I can get a huge solo type boost. Do you guys leave this on all the time? I could see why, it quickly pushes the amp up in a big way. Still no luck with the feedback in my effects loop.

You with the eq in the loop, whats the mix on your effects loop set at and whats it set at on your pedal?

Yes, my SD1 is on at all times...Level maxed and Gain on zero.

I think I have the mix level somewhere around noon on the back..probably closer to "wet" than dry for my EQ.

• Members

Thanks!

By having the gain so low (I have it around 1pm) can you still get the harmonic squeels and sustain???

Those are the two things I cannot seem to bring out of this map without having the gain a little higher and an SD1 pushing it...oh yeah, and I have an EQ in the loop too.

You have the gain at 1:00 and you are pushing it in the front. That is a lot of gain,

Keep the output knob at like 1:00 and push the channel master to like 10:00 or 11:00, you should get harmonics and sustain, ESPECIALLY with el34s (Ruby El34b-strs.

• Members

If it frustrates you so much why do you still own it? Sell it and get something that fits you better.

• Members

If it frustrates you so much why do you still own it? Sell it and get something that fits you better.

That is the miilion dollar question! :(

I am just suffering from a massive case of buyers remorse. Feeling burned after spending good money on the Dual Rectifer I am now leary of spending good money on another amp in fear that I won't get what I want either. A sad day indeed.

Paralized with indecision....

In short, I am a weenie! ;)

• Members

Thanks!

I get a very full sound. I am pretty good at harmonic squeals, so I have no problem. I have an eq in the loop as well. It is used to et more of a metal tone out of the amp, but doesn't really help with squeals. I tried a friends modded TS808 last night. SHIOT!!!!! WOW!!!! Incredible.

• Members

That is the miilion dollar question!
:(

I am just suffering from a massive case of buyers remorse. Feeling burned after spending good money on the Dual Rectifer I am now leary of spending good money on another amp in fear that I won't get what I want either. A sad day indeed.

Paralized with indecision....

In short, I am a weenie!
;)

That's understandable, but you shouldn't let your buyers remorse stand in the way of getting something that will suit you better.

Try to describe the type of tone are you going for,...are there any bands/players that you can sight as an example of the type of tone you're after?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I thought i'd revive this thread. I discovered a few weeks back as I sat across from the room on the floor infront of the 2x12 that I had a {censored}ty tone. Standing beside the amp for the last month playing using my pedal board, I realized I should have been playing with the settings and sitting infront of the speakers.

That and I'm ditching all my overdrive and clean boost pedals in honor of the new time machine boost I got. I can use it as a vintage overdrive or a clean boost and its got some sweet tones but I havent had a chance to crank the rectoverb enough to really utilize it.

Finally had mesa boogie e-mail the schematic to switch my parallel effects loop to series so I can use my parametric eq and delays in the loop.

How about everyone toss in their favorite recto settings. I like looking at all the drastic differences people have and trying them out on my own setup and then tweaking to my own taste.
So everyone post up :D

• Members
Originally posted by StrykeBack

I thought i'd revive this thread. I discovered a few weeks back as I sat across from the room on the floor infront of the 2x12 that I had a {censored}ty tone. Standing beside the amp for the last month playing using my pedal board, I realized I should have been playing with the settings and sitting infront of the speakers.

That and I'm ditching all my overdrive and clean boost pedals in honor of the new time machine boost I got. I can use it as a vintage overdrive or a clean boost and its got some sweet tones but I havent had a chance to crank the rectoverb enough to really utilize it.

Finally had mesa boogie e-mail the schematic to switch my parallel effects loop to series so I can use my parametric eq and delays in the loop.

How about everyone toss in their favorite recto settings. I like looking at all the drastic differences people have and trying them out on my own setup and then tweaking to my own taste.

So everyone post up
:D

hehe, interesting. The day that I realized that I was getting truly not so great tones with my rectoverb is when i recorded it with my band and listened back.

I've been through all the tube combos. 6L6s, EL-34Ls, EL-34s. and on, trying to find THE tone in my rectoverb combo. When I got to the Ruby EL-34, I was pretty happy with the results for awhile. And believe me, I tweaked like a madman with the settings. constantly tweaking with so so tone, rarely ever WHOA!!!! you know?
So, i sold it and recently bought a Marshall DSL50. within minutes of pluggin in and turning up with my band, I fully realized what I was missing, and exactly what I was looking for. The recto with the el-34s was close, but I was after the Marshall sound. simple as that.

mesa rectos arn't for everyone. for ppl that like to downtune and want some serious thump, they'll really enjoy their rectos fitted with nice 6L6s for sure. Thats one thing that they do very well. In terms of its versatitlty, they as alright in low gain tones, but dont seem to have that sweet breakup tones that the marshall does so goddamm well. cleans seem a little stiff too.

• Members

Thats one thing that they do very well. In terms of its versatitlty, they as alright in low gain tones, but dont seem to have that sweet breakup tones that the marshall does so goddamm well. cleans seem a little stiff too.

Interesting. the first thign I tried and impressed the heck out of me was the clean channel and how very fender deluxereverbish it was.

I've contemplated trying some rubys and maybe I will just for kicks. Just recently got a mix of preamp and power tubes from doug a mix of JJ and c9 preamps and sed 6l6s

• Members
Originally posted by LnTh

Oh, and im sure 3 channel version is just as good! I'm dying to check one out. GC's around my area dont seem to have em for some reason
:confused:

They are probably always selling out of them (which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it):p

I love my 3 channel voodoo modded recto, I've been using channel 2 modern for my high gain, It sounds great , I like the way the treble controls works as u turn it up and down. The amp seems to be mush dry the lower the treble is. It can almost seem like a different amp just by changing how the treble is set. I love the sound for solo's by switching the power amp to the tube rectifier's, although I'm almost always in bold/silicon

I have it set up with a c9 in V1, gt 12ax7m's in V2 - 4 jan ge 5751 in v5, gt 6ca7's in the power amp.

• Members
Originally posted by cobrahead1030

(and that's taking into consideration that god awful hissing sound i can't get rid of
:(
)

I think something might be wrong with yours, cause I dont have this problem with mine. My friend has one too and naver had that problem:confused: .

If you can get it fixed it might take over your cobra;) :p

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Originally posted by lefchr

I think something might be wrong with yours, cause I dont have this problem with mine. My friend has one too and naver had that problem:confused: .

If you can get it fixed it might take over your cobra;)
:p

there is a minor issue with it causing the noise

unfortunately there are no local techs competent enough to fix it

however, i don't see it moving in on the cobra anytime soon ;)

Archived