Marshall JCM900 SL-X 2500 Clip...

rig-talk.com

• Members

Originally posted by Filter500

Ha yeah, I was being a bit cautious in my estimate. As to the fizz comment the other guy made, listen to a Mesa and tell me that the SL-X sounds fizzy! From what I've heard of Budda they're very smooth. Too bad they cost a fortune! I picked up my SL-X for $475.

Yeah, I think the Budda's are all really smooth. That explains why he thinks this clip is fizzy. It IS fizzy compared to a really smooth amp!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry it's a fizzy tone, imo.

Digital jams, I don't know if the 900's have diodes or not. Why do you care???? Just listen with your ears and not read so much.
I don't like that "hair" on top of the tone.

Doesn't matter, I owned a couple 900's and that's what they sound like. Had a Mesa recto when they came out and thought that was fizz too, just a darker, mushier fizz.

The Budda is smooth btw! But it can get angry when you dig in.
BTW, I use a TS9 and with it's diodes it sounds pretty damn good.

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

Yeah, I think the Budda's are all really smooth. That explains why he thinks this clip is fizzy. It IS fizzy compared to a really smooth amp!

Yeah that's true. But I don't think a JCM 800 is fizzy, unless it's at low volumes. Low volumes they are very fizzy. Once it's cranked a bit they get fat and round on the top. A lot of the high gain amps have that "fryin' bacon" fizz.

Don't take it personally bro'. You're the only guy who made a nice sounding POD Xt clip out of the ones I heard. I think most sound pretty thin, but I liked your clips. Especially that one with the Fulldrive.

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

Let me guess...................diodes????? I love the diode lines........"but but....it has diodes....yucky."

I thought it sounded great Chris, real good for the price you can score those for! I would have liked it a tad brighter for my own tastes.

The SLX doesn't have diodes, if I remember correctly...

Still, I agree with the guy - there is some funk-fuzz going on in the top end, however, I think it's more mic-position than the amp - just sounds like it's a bit too close to the center of the speaker.

• Members

I really enjoyed the clip Thump! It was a bit dark for my taste but I think it is something I could dial out with different preamp tubes. I might have to see if I can dig one of these up for a good price because the overall tone is really good!

• Members

Originally posted by DirtyChains

I really enjoyed the clip Thump! It was a bit dark for my taste but I think it is something I could dial out with different preamp tubes. I might have to see if I can dig one of these up for a good price because the overall tone is really good!

You can actually get a brighter tone by setting the gain knob higher and the preamp lower, although I like mine a bit dark.

• Members

Originally posted by Filter500

You can actually get a brighter tone by setting the gain knob higher and the preamp lower, although I like mine a bit dark.

Thanks for the info! I have never played this amp at all so any info is appreciated. I can't figure out why it is not more popular??? Between Thump's clip and what you are telling me it really sounds like a very versitile amp. Add an eq and an od pedal and the tones would really be varied!

I haven't had a bad GAS attack in a long time but I feel one coming on damnit:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by buddastrat

Yeah that's true. But I don't think a JCM 800 is fizzy, unless it's at low volumes. Low volumes they are very fizzy. Once it's cranked a bit they get fat and round on the top. A lot of the high gain amps have that "fryin' bacon" fizz.

Don't take it personally bro'. You're the only guy who made a nice sounding POD Xt clip out of the ones I heard. I think most sound pretty thin, but I liked your clips. Especially that one with the Fulldrive.

Oh, I'm not taking anything personally! Thanks for you honest comments.

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyChains

Thanks for the info! I have never played this amp at all so any info is appreciated. I can't figure out why it is not more popular??? Between Thump's clip and what you are telling me it really sounds like a very versitile amp. Add an eq and an od pedal and the tones would really be varied!

I haven't had a bad GAS attack in a long time but I feel one coming on damnit:mad:

LOL! Filter500 is exactly right. You can make the amp much brighter than my clip. I just chose a fatter tone. :) I have the mids down quite a bit in the clip above. Simply turning those up brightens it up as well, because the mid control seems to really control a high mid range.

Chris

• Members

Thanks again guys. I'm actually going into the studio not this weekend, but next weekend to record guitar tracks with a band I'm friends with... It's alot of original music I already know and since I love studio stuff, I'm going in with them! :)

Anyway, the SL-X is the only amp I have now. I've NEVER tried recording it until last night. I got the tone on this clip with very minimal tweaking or experimentation, so I'm pretty darn happy. :) I think it will perform VERY well in the studio.

Chris

• Members
Originally posted by kannibul

The SLX doesn't have diodes, if I remember correctly...

Still, I agree with the guy - there is some funk-fuzz going on in the top end, however, I think it's more mic-position than the amp - just sounds like it's a bit too close to the center of the speaker.

Lords knows I've never mic'ed an amp before... :rolleyes: Your'e just used to that Orange amp, which I believe has a real dark tone.

• Members
Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

Sounds great Thump! Bass playing hasn't make you rusty at all it seems
:)

Thanks! Man, I got on stage last weekend and played a few shows with a band I know and I was RUSTY!!!!! Really bad, actually. Part of it was from the guitar being slung so low that it dragged the ground, but the other part is that a guitar feels like a toy next to my basses. lol... I'm bending the strings too sharp and stuff, because I'm used to the real heavy bass strings I use.

I'm going to work on my guitar playing all week to get ready for the studio session, though... I should be fine.

Chris

• Members

Sorry it's a fizzy tone, imo.

Digital jams, I don't know if the 900's have diodes or not. Why do you care???? Just listen with your ears and not read so much.

I don't like that "hair" on top of the tone.

Doesn't matter, I owned a couple 900's and that's what they sound like. Had a Mesa recto when they came out and thought that was fizz too, just a darker, mushier fizz.

The Budda is smooth btw! But it can get angry when you dig in.

BTW, I use a TS9 and with it's diodes it sounds pretty damn good.

I did forget about the Buddas, being you own one I agree that this would sound hairy to you. I was too quick to jump in on the 900 bashing that goes around here :) Sorry.

• Members

The playing is fine Chris, but the tone is so fizzy on the top.

It's kind of dark sounding but it's fizzy to my ears as well. I could definitely make it work though.

• Members
Originally posted by Digital Jams

I did forget about the Buddas, being you own one I agree that this would sound hairy to you. I was too quick to jump in on the 900 bashing that goes around here
:)
Sorry.

No problem, but I guess I am a 900 basher LOL! I usually chime in and say how buzzy I think they are. honestly I don't care if it has diodes or not. I think the Jubilees are nice sounding and they have diodes. They still sound a little fizzy to me but it's doable.

But people love the Soldanos, and I didn't like mine as I heard bacon with those too! Guess I'm picky.

But the Budda didn't spoil me from other amps at all. Way back in the day there was no Budda. I loved the JCM 800's but wanted one with a loop so in the early 90's, when the 900's came out, I was really excited thinking it will be an 800 with a good loop. Well until I played them, and couldn't get rid of that top end fizziness. So I tried another and then another... . I remember once I took my bass player with me and a 2204 to the store, and tried to do a blind test. I seriously tried to like this amp. I wanted to. Well, I end up still using an 800 to this day. It's one of the most ballsy Marshall imo.

I have heard a 900 sound decent in a band mix. I guess the cymbals eat up some of that top end fuzz. But I was always picky about my tone and always wanted it to sound good with or without a band.

the Budda is sort've a smooth 2203 sound. But sometimes I want the more aggressive crunch and the JCM 800 amp ain't exactly smooth.

• Members

No problem, but I guess I am a 900 basher LOL! I usually chime in and say how buzzy I think they are. honestly I don't care if it has diodes or not. I think the Jubilees are nice sounding and they have diodes. They still sound a little fizzy to me but it's doable.

But people love the Soldanos, and I didn't like mine as I heard bacon with those too! Guess I'm picky.

But the Budda didn't spoil me from other amps at all. Way back in the day there was no Budda. I loved the JCM 800's but wanted one with a loop so in the early 90's, when the 900's came out, I was really excited thinking it will be an 800 with a good loop. Well until I played them, and couldn't get rid of that top end fizziness. So I tried another and then another... . I remember once I took my bass player with me and a 2204 to the store, and tried to do a blind test. I seriously tried to like this amp. I wanted to. Well, I end up still using an 800 to this day. It's one of the most ballsy Marshall imo.

I have heard a 900 sound decent in a band mix. I guess the cymbals eat up some of that top end fuzz. But I was always picky about my tone and always wanted it to sound good with or without a band.

the Budda is sort've a smooth 2203 sound. But sometimes I want the more aggressive crunch and the JCM 800 amp ain't exactly smooth.

The 900's sound unbelievable in a band context. Better than most boutique amps to my ears. The following song was recorded with a JCM900 4100 Dual Reverb model and I think it sounds awesome.

http://www.junkvine.net/JUNKVINE_Fell_For_You.mp3

I've used this SL-X live a few times and it impressed me every time. One time, I got to sit out in the crowd and hear someone else play my rig in a one guitar band for a few songs and I was in shock at how good my tone was!!!! :)

There are also alot of pros that used 900's at one point and they never had bad tone either.

I know what you're saying, though. Of course, these amps aren't for everyone or even most people. It really depends on the style of music.

What style of music do you play the most or what type of tones are you after?

Chris

• Members

...But people love the Soldanos, and I didn't like mine as I heard bacon with those too! Guess I'm picky...

...But I was always picky about my tone and always wanted it to sound good with or without a band...

Not a huge deal, but you're implying that people that like JCM900's aren't "picky" about their tone. lol... You know that's not the case, though. I'm as picky as anyone in here and I love this SL-X. :)

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

The 900's sound unbelievable in a band context. Better than most boutique amps to my ears.

I have to agree. I have a friend who plays a 900 in a weekly gig and it sounds GREAT live. I couldn't believe it when I first heard it.

• Members

I'll check that out. I like a very aggressive, tight with a lot of chunk Marshall tone but when you play one note, it sounds clean and doesn't sound like distortion. Basically a cranked super or even an 800 can do it once you get it past it's fizzy stage. Lots of balls but not too much preamp distortion. My band plays a lot of Dio, Ozzy as well as lighter stuff like Black Crowes and Jett and I like to try to get some classic tone but with a modern chunk for heavy palm mutes. It's a cool balance. Sort've a Zakk W tone but with less buzzy gain and more warm chunk.

Basically an 800 with a Tube screamer to smooth it out a bit.

Archived