How come no one has mention AVENGED SEVENFOLD around here before?

reo73

• Members
Originally posted by reo73

I finally got to hear these guys' music and to tell the truth I was completely blown away. Kinda like Prog meets Shred meets Nu-metal meets Queen. Great guitar work and amazing solos, amazing heavy riffing and very cool vocal melodies.

So what's the scoop with this band?

its called metalcore at its best.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by naskonja

its called metalcore at its best.

I wouldnt call it metalcore seeing as the riffs are more megadeth/metallica than killswitch, unearth etc. The singer sings almost 100% of the time and rarely screams. Also the song structures are nothing like which typifies metalcore.

• Members

Originally posted by nrarocks

people definetly mention them from time to time. they own, simply put. they're very tight and fun to watch live, and yes, their drummer is a beast, especially live. the names are kinda lame, but they rock and that's all that matters.

Couldn't agree more. Kick ass {censored}ing band.

• Members

they're a young band that does guitar solos. that is cool. they can actually play and its refreshing to hear that and to see young people get into something more than just screaming and posing.

i hope they blow up big time all over mtv and radio. metal w/ guitar solos.

• Members

Yup the singer blew his voice out and had to be completely trained/rehabbed. That's why they broke away from screamo......he can't do it any more. That's also why the other band members share in the singing now......I don't really care for the direction they've taken. My bass player loves it though...:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by porph

I wouldnt call it metalcore seeing as the riffs are more megadeth/metallica than killswitch, unearth etc. The singer sings almost 100% of the time and rarely screams. Also the song structures are nothing like which typifies metalcore.

they are metalcore, ive met them ive listened to all their cds they are metalcore lol unearth is also metalcore and so is black dahlia murder ect ect people think metalcose is nothing but killswitch engage sounding bands. they are just more metal influenced metalcore thats all. listen to their last cd befor the new one, much more "core" than this one.

• Members
Originally posted by shred-o-holic

Yup the singer blew his voice out and had to be completely trained/rehabbed. That's why they broke away from screamo......he can't do it any more. That's also why the other band members share in the singing now......I don't really care for the direction they've taken. My bass player loves it though...
:confused:

I work with Mudrock (their producer) and have talked with M. Shadows and out of his very own mouth he has said that he never ever injured his voice, had any sort of surgery on his voice or anything of the kind. Those are entirely rumors. He doesn't scream anymore because he chooses not to and the rest of the band wanted it that way as well. They are trying to vear from the metalcore scene as much as possible, thats all. I'm not trying to single you out, I know a lot of other people were repeating it too but I just wanted to let it be known what I've heard directly from the singer himself.

• Members

Bump for naskonja.

Also, a friend turned me onto Avenged Sevenfold over the weekend. My question is, how in the heck are these guys classified from a genre perspective?

I hear some of that whiney EMO thing going on (I *think* that's what it is), a bit of Faith No More, some nice chunky metal and more. I think I could get used to this easily, and much of it was cool upon first listen.

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

I hear some of that whiney EMO thing going on (I *think* that's what it is), a bit of Faith No More, some nice chunky metal and more. I think I could get used to this easily, and much of it was cool upon first listen.

Definitely NOT emo. The guy burst a blood vessel in his throat and had to learn how to sing (he used to be more cookie monster style).

He then took vocals lessons from the same guy who taught Chris Cornell and Axel Rose.

They are ALL great musicians. I havent taken "City of Evil" out of my cd player in 3 days. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by telephant

Definitely NOT emo. The guy burst a blood vessel in his throat and had to learn how to sing (he used to be more cookie monster style).

He then took vocals lessons from the same guy who taught Chris Cornell and Axel Rose.

They are ALL great musicians. I havent taken "City of Evil" out of my cd player in 3 days.
;)

How would you describe the vocal style on the first two tunes of City of Evil? I thought it was kind of pop/punk/emo, but I'm not really up on music genre's these days.

• Members

How would you describe the vocal style on the first two tunes of City of Evil? I thought it was kind of pop/punk/emo, but I'm not really up on music genre's these days.

Sounds like 80's rock to me. A bit whiney in places which is why I can see the pop punk reference. Listen to the whole album though. It really does sound like a Reincarnation of LA Rock to me...

• Members

Sounds like 80's rock to me. A bit whiney in places which is why I can see the pop punk reference. Listen to the whole album though. It really does sound like a Reincarnation of LA Rock to me...

I'm really enjoying some of the vocal melodies. There's no doubt these guys are good. I actually like them better than Nevermore, who's latest CD I bought a couple weeks ago.

By the way, my buddy burned me a copy of this from his computer, and I'm assuming it's from a purchased disc since he doesn't do music downloads, but I notice this disc doesn't have the bottom end girth of bands like Nevermore and Lamb of God. Is that how they produced it, or is the copy I got degraded? Either way, I'm going to buy this one.

• Members

I'm really enjoying some of the vocal melodies. There's no doubt these guys are good. I actually like them better than Nevermore, who's latest CD I bought a couple weeks ago.

By the way, my buddy burned me a copy of this from his computer, and I'm
assuming
it's from a purchased disc since he doesn't do music downloads, but I notice this disc doesn't have the bottom end girth of bands like Nevermore and Lamb of God. Is that how they produced it, or is the copy I got degraded? Either way, I'm going to buy this one.

Well I downloaded mine and burned it and it has a good amount of low end on it.

Definitely NOT as much as Nevermore though. So yeah, i think its just they way it was mixed. I read an interview with the vocalist though and he said they were definitely going for a kick ass rock album. Its got kind of an Guns N Roses style mix to it you know?

• Members

Originally posted by Patrickjp

I was impressed with them too, pretty damn good guitar players

Definitely. Really suprised me actually. Ive been waiting for a decent rock n roll band to come along for awhile now and these guys are "it" for me...

• Members

Well I downloaded mine and burned it and it has a good amount of low end on it.

Definitely NOT as much as Nevermore though. So yeah, i think its just they way it was mixed. I read an interview with the vocalist though and he said they were definitely going for a kick ass rock album. Its got kind of an Guns N Roses style mix to it you know?

Man, some of that heavy double kick stuff would be incredible with the modern low end on it. I think the disc would have been killer with modern production qualities, like big bottom, coupled with sometimes retro style.

• Members

Man, some of that heavy double kick stuff would be incredible with the modern low end on it. I think the disc would have been killer with modern production qualities, like big bottom, coupled with sometimes retro style.

The low end thumps hard in my Jeep, but I did notice I had to turn the bass up a bit more. With the new Nevermore disc I was actually turning the bass down... :eek:;)

• Members

The low end thumps hard in my Jeep, but I did notice I had to turn the bass up a bit more. With the new Nevermore disc I was actually turning the bass down...
:eek:;)

Yeah, I got a free metal compilation disc when I bought the Nevermore disc, and I think Meshugga blew a speaker for me.

I don't dig the overboard bottom end amplitude, but I do like the girth they're acheiving on newer metal productions.

• Members
Originally posted by MSirrine

I work with Mudrock (their producer) and have talked with M. Shadows and out of his very own mouth he has said that he never ever injured his voice, had any sort of surgery on his voice or anything of the kind. Those are entirely rumors. He doesn't scream anymore because he chooses not to and the rest of the band wanted it that way as well. They are trying to vear from the metalcore scene as much as possible, thats all. I'm not trying to single you out, I know a lot of other people were repeating it too but I just wanted to let it be known what I've heard directly from the singer himself.

If this is true I stand corrected. :)

Archived