Safely discharging capacitors

jazzbo

• Members

Originally posted by scottosan

shorting it out with a screwdriver is dangerous. Clay Finlyey had the tip of his screwdriver chip off on took flight. Go sped 3 bucks on a resistor wire and allegator clip

That's right!

I have a discharging device I have made. It consists of a 10 watt 100 ohm ceramic resistor with six inches of flexible insulated lamp wire soldered to each end. At the end of the wires are soldered alligator clips. To use, clip one side to the chassis and the other to a screwdriver with an insulated handle. Then, touch the screwdriver to the cap lugs and count to ten. Repeat. Done.

{Edit: Just like rastaman!}

• Members

Originally posted by rastaman

My amp tech and myself also use a 100ohm resistor w/ soldered jumper clips and shrink wrap on it to discharge. There may be better/easier ways but this works fine.

Wrong. He/you would like to use a bigger one, esp. when the caps are fully loaded. 220kOhm would be better. A low Ohm R and a full 500V cap gives you sparks and flashes.

Other than that I'm with Pete Stratotone here. Standy "On", then check. If there`s still some, use a "bleeder".

• Members

The "Left Hand Rule" should alays be applied.

You need to remove the cap before discharging it, or you dischange it into the circuit. Not good, real bad actually.

To figure out the discharge voltage you need to look up the formula for the "delta" of the charge. I don't remember the formula or I'd give it to you. It'll show that even the smallest amount of voltage can be huge when compared to the time it takes to discharge. It's pretty amazing.

Once it's removed and your left hand is in your pocket, get a decent sized rubber handled screw driver and short out the terminals on the cap.

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

Perhaps my delay between turning off the power and doing the discharging (several minutes) has something to do with it?

Yup - my guess ;) . Please don't use your 100 Ohm with full loaded chokes, caps and so on . . .

And since this thread is called "safely", I would always recommend the bigger . . .

• Members

Originally posted by LPBlue

The resistor/wire method works fine but the resistor is not really needed. I use a wire with alligator clips hooking one end to the chassis and the other end to the plate of V1.The caps will drain quickly and safely through the plate resistors. I usually monitor the voltage drop as well just to be safe. When the caps are drained,
leave the wire in place
until you are finished working otherwise the caps may "re-group" their residual charge. My .02Cdn.

This is exactly what I do also. Do this and watch the volts drop in a hurry.

• Members

Originally posted by jazzbo

Is there a web site that shows how to do this?

I have basic breadboard electronics experience but I never worked on a high-voltage amp before. Would I be crazy to try without experience?

I'd like to learn how to work on amps but I don't know where to start.

I used the tongue method.................once.

Archived