Why Don't Speaker Companies......

guitarman967

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman967

Your point is well taken. I guess I was being too optimistic. I wonder why even have any clips at all then. The biggest pain is that every MFG uses these v30's. You can't tell me that one speaker fits every amp that is sold. Either it's laziness on the amp makers part or they must get them really cheap from celestion to cut costs.

Wow, no offense intended, but you're way off. V30's are not a low cost speaker by any means. There are many that cost less, and not too many that cost more. I handle the OEM sales for almost every amp builder west of the Mississippi and without going into details, I can assure you that cost is not the reasoning. You are right on one point though...the V30 is one of the most popular speakers ever. Whether it's for you or not...well that's your call. Good luck on the search and I hope you find what you need. Rick

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by fit2-btied

Wow, no offense intended, but you're way off. V30's are not a low cost speaker by any means. There are many that cost less, and not too many that cost more. I handle the OEM sales for almost every amp builder west of the Mississippi and without going into details, I can assure you that cost is not the reasoning. You are right on one point though...the V30 is one of the most popular speakers ever. Whether it's for you or not...well that's your call. Good luck on the search and I hope you find what you need. Rick

Care to shed any light on the reasoning then? Why not stock an amp with G12h-30's or the Classic leads. They seem to be the one's everyone likes and raves about on this forum and elsewhere.

• Members

Your point is well taken. I guess I was being too optimistic. I wonder why even have any clips at all then. The biggest pain is that every MFG uses these v30's. You can't tell me that one speaker fits every amp that is sold. Either it's laziness on the amp makers part or they must get them really cheap from celestion to cut costs.

i think the reason V30s are so popular is that they're so damn easy to record, with almost any kind of amp, for almost any kind of tone... and they handle plenty of power, cut through the mix in a live situation, and are quite efficient. sure, they can be kinda grating and annoying but they definitely get the job done in a lot of ways. plus, they have a reputation that sells, and selling is the whole point of manufacturing. like you're well aware of, most people can't try out all the speakers out there with their own amp and cab setup, so a versatile workhorse speaker like a V30 is a pretty safe bet for making lots of people reasonably happy.

greenbacks and H30s would probably get a lot more spec if they handled more power. eminence might start to get a lot more spec if they can thin their line to a few very good speakers instead of a zillion models that barely anyone has a chance to even hear.

• Members

Originally posted by hethaerto4

Would a wave-form graph help?

This is how engineers get a good start on learning about new mics.

Anything other that how it's setup now would probably help immensely. Celestion doesn't mind if you have to buy everyone of their speakers before you find out that speaker X is the right one IMO. Eminence seems to be alot more helpful in general about describing the sounds an uses on their site. They have a whole chart setup and they also compare within the separte lines. Whoo hoo!!

• Members
Originally posted by hethaerto4

When you say "purple amps", do you mean Budda?

he means my long-lost beloved purple tremoverb combo :(

i also miss my long gone luscious purple fur covered ampeg... :(

i'm never letting go of another purple amp again. purple has the best tone, by far.

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

i think the reason V30s are so popular is that they're so damn easy to record, with almost any kind of amp, for almost any kind of tone... and they handle plenty of power, cut through the mix in a live situation, and are quite efficient. sure, they can be kinda grating and annoying but they definitely get the job done in a lot of ways. plus, they have a reputation that sells, and selling is the whole point of manufacturing. like you're well aware of, most people can't try out all the speakers out there with their own amp and cab setup, so a versatile workhorse speaker like a V30 is a pretty safe bet for making lots of people reasonably happy.

greenbacks and H30s would probably get a lot more spec if they handled more power. eminence might start to get a lot more spec if they can thin their line to a few very good speakers instead of a zillion models that barely anyone has a chance to even hear.

That does makes alot of sense. It just doesn't help the guitarist who is tired of them and wants to customize their tone. My point has been that these Companies should make it easy for the return business when Plan A doesn't work out so well.

• Members

Care to shed any light on the reasoning then? Why not stock an amp with G12h-30's or the Classic leads. They seem to be the one's everyone likes and raves about on this forum and elsewhere.

I would suppose that it's because they like what they hear. The V30 is a great workhorse speaker for many players and builders. To be specific in your case, I would suggest that you ask Framus that question. BTW, many use the other speakers mentioned as well. That's really all that I want to say on this thread. I've offered suggestions and hopefully you can make something work. You may need to go out and do a little more research with your ears (as Im sure you have). Feel free to PM me, or my number is on our site. I'll answer any questions you have through those two mediums, but I do not want to debate on a public forum. Peace!:cool:

• Members

No offense here but you still haven't answered my Classic lead 80 question in relation to the V30's one bit! It's like visiting the Celestions Site. arrggghhh

• Members

That does makes alot of sense. It just doesn't help the guitarist who is tired of them and wants to customie their tone. My point has been that these Companies should make it easy for the return business when Plan A doesn't work out so well.

the easiest way is to find people with speakers you want to try, and try 'em. that's why people on the forum get together and have ampfests... to try stuff out in ways you normally can't.

hell, before the internet, all you could do is look at a catalog and maaaaybe the dude at your local shop might have some experience with the different models, and maaaaybe had a couple cabs in stock with different speakers to try out. typically, price, power handling, and efficiency would be how someone decided on what to buy. now, you can get input from people all over the world on forums like this, listen to sound clips recorded various ways, even go to ampfests and try stuff out. it isn't perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was before.

i remember when i bought my first 4x12 cab.

"what's in it?"

"celestions"

"cool, i'll take it. wait, how many watts?"

"240"

"does it have wheels?"

"yeah"

"ok, cool, sold"

luckily, it was loaded with G12-65s and sounded REALLY good, but i had no friggin' idea and didn't care.

• Members

I would suppose that it's because they like what they hear. The V30 is a great workhorse speaker for many players and builders. To be specific in your case, I would suggest that you ask Framus that question. BTW, many use the other speakers mentioned as well. That's really all that I want to say on this thread. I've offered suggestions and hopefully you can make something work. You may need to go out and do a little more research with your ears (as Im sure you have). Feel free to PM me, or my number is on our site. I'll answer any questions you have through those two mediums, but I do not want to debate on a public forum. Peace!
:cool:

Framus stock Cobra's with Greenbacks. They aren't gonna tell me much else. Thanks for you opinions.

• Members

the easiest way is to find people with speakers you want to try, and try 'em. that's why people on the forum get together and have ampfests... to try stuff out in ways you normally can't.

hell, before the internet, all you could do is look at a catalog and maaaaybe the dude at your local shop might have some experience with the different models, and maaaaybe had a couple cabs in stock with different speakers to try out. typically, price, power handling, and efficiency would be how someone decided on what to buy. now, you can get input from people all over the world on forums like this, listen to sound clips recorded various ways, even go to ampfests and try stuff out. it isn't perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was before.

i remember when i bought my first 4x12 cab.

"what's in it?"

"celestions"

"cool, i'll take it. wait, how many watts?"

"240"

"does it have wheels?"

"yeah"

"ok, cool, sold"

luckily, it was loaded with G12-65s and sounded REALLY good, but i had no friggin' idea and didn't care.

True dat, bud. Actually that's why I'm here asking the questions. To capitalize on the good fortunes on the internet before I shell out the $$. So these forums are great but My problem is more with the companies that sell the actual products. Really vague overall.

• Members

Framus stock Cobra's with Greenbacks. They aren't gonna tell me much else. Thanks for you opinions.

framus probably tried a few speakers and found that they preferred the gb with that particular amp, in that particular cab, for the types of tones they had in mind when they designed the amp.

• Members

True dat, bud. Actually that's why I'm here asking the questions. To capitalize on the good fortunes on the internet before I shell out the $$. So these forums are great but My problem is more with the companies that sell the actual products. Really vague overall.

i feel your pain man. i've been back and forth with speakers, trying to find the best match for my amps, trying to get away from V30s, trying to find the tone in my head... and here i sit with seven of the damn things.

• Members

framus probably tried a few speakers and found that they preferred the gb with that particular amp, in that particular cab, for the types of tones they had in mind when they designed the amp.

That's exactly what they told me. I've tried them and they were decent but not ideal. Too dark. I have greenies from "72 though, could just be that there so broken in.

All I want to know is how the 80's will sound/perform compared to a V30 in any amp. I can't seem to get that info.

• Members

i feel your pain man. i've been back and forth with speakers, trying to find the best match for my amps, trying to get away from V30s, trying to find the tone in my head... and here i sit with seven of the damn things.

Which one's. I'll buy some from you if you can decribe what they do generally and of course if their for sale:D

• Members

That's exactly what they told me. I've tried them and they were decent but not ideal. Too dark. I have greenies from "72 though, could just be that there so broken in.

All I want to know is how the 80's will sound/perform compared to a V30 in any amp. I can't seem to get that info.

well, probably: less mids, a little cleaner, dunno what the lows will be like but they can either sound tight and compact or big and beefy (depends on the amp) in my experience. you really need to find someone who has tried them with that amp and see what they say.

i know i like CL80s with rectos, but not with Mark IVs. with rectos they sound all kinds of huge and meaty, but with Mark IVs i feel they sound kinda stiff and bland.

• Members

Ok, I'll try again....then Im off to bed.

V30 compared to CL80's;

The V30 is heavier in the mids than the CL80. The V30 hits 100db to the CL80's 99 (read louder). The V30 is 60 watts and the CL80 is 80.

The CL80 has a lot of low end with nice highs on top. Overall a bit darker. You described the V30 as bassy...I really do not hear that too often. Both are well rounded speakers with a little different vibe.

• Members

Which one's. I'll buy some from you if you can decribe what they do generally and of course if their for sale:D

i have seven V30s. somehow, i've ended up with them in ALL my cabs. i kinda gave up on trying other things for a while.

• Members

Ok, I'll try again....then Im off to bed.

V30 compared to CL80's;

The V30 is heavier in the mids than the CL80. The V30 hits 100db to the CL80's 99 (read louder). The V30 is 60 watts and the CL80 is 80.

The CL80 has a lot of low end with nice highs on top. Overall a bit darker. You described the V30 as bassy...I really do not hear that too often. Both are well rounded speakers with a little different vibe.

Sorry if this is kinda annoying. It's just a hard thing in the chain to figure out, worse than pickups even. That's exactly what I needed to know, however, and it really helps me with my descision making process. More of that on the Website please:D

• Members

Sorry if this is kinda annoying. It's just a hard thing in the chain to figure out, worse than pickups even. That's exactly what I needed to know, however, and it really helps me with my descision making process. More of that on the Website please:D

Glad I could try and help. Good luck and let me know what you find.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

The problem is just that. They give you a clip, and you'll want to hear a different amp or a different lick, or a different pickup in the guitar or a different mic to be used.

No. That's not what he wanted at all. I think he wanted everything else to be equal, and just have a different speaker. I.E. same lick, same guitar, same amp, same mic, different speaker.

That way you can TRULY hear the difference between speaker types, and not have all these other variables coming into play.

Archived