Tech guys - 2203 Master Volume improvements

algroves

• Members

Ok, so I've got my 2203 in the house, which I'm planning to mod a bit. I've already snipped the two treble peaking caps, which has darkened it nicely, but I know there are tweaks that can be made to the Master volume to make it sound better at lower levels. I'd also like to thicken things up slightly and warm it up - I'm always REALLY impressed at how thick the Mojave amps sound, and I'd like to get that sort of vibe.

I have a couple of mods courtesy of Olaf that include MV tweaks, as well as tightening of the bass and smoothing of the highs, but I'd like to get more ideas.

Cheers

Al

• Members

Originally posted by shredhead666

You might consider making it a post-phase inverter master volume if it's not already...

Yeah, I've considered this. Although I've heard people say it makes the MV amps very muddy. I have tried a PPIMV and a 'normal' MV in a 2204 before, but I can't really remember whether it was worth the hassle. I seem to remember not finding much improvement.

Al

• Members

I've never heard or played a modded Marshall that sounded better than a finely tuned 2203-4 with a good OD box. Now there's a million mods, and I'm sure some smoke. But in my experience I had a lot of techs do mods and add extra gain stages or master volumes etc.. and always came back to stock with a stompbox. The trick for me was finding an 800 that would sound warmer than most, then you've got something special.

• Members

There is that idea, however, I'm not really looking for any extra gain - the stock 2203 levels are just right for me. Also, I hate stompboxes. Basically, I want peoples oppinions and advice on mods to the Master Volume. I've got a few preamp mods lined up to make the midrange more 'plexi' and to make the top end slightly less aggressive (basically, these are just bringing back some elements of the earlier plexi's - not substantial mods), and also to sweeten the bass control a bit. I'm also going to retube it and recap it.

Any advice on good MV tweaks, whether ppimv or not, would be great.

Al

• Members

Here's something I've had tucked away. Whether or not these are all good ideas or not is in the air:

1. Locate the 68K input resistor (R3) and place a 330pf 1kv ceramic cap across it. This will beef up the mids and lows and make the entire amp feel more "meaty" and "thick".

2. Locate the 10K cathode resistor (R6 found on V1B) and replace it with a 4.7K resistor. This will beef up the gain. This seems to be the "sweet-spot" on these amps. If you want insane gain use a 1.5K.

3. Locate the 820ohm cathode resistor (R9 found on V2A) and place a .68uf cap across it. This will increase the gain a little. But mostly it gives you the nice "Plexi" midrange boost.

4. Locate the 33K "slope resistor" which is in the EQ section (R15) and replace it with a 47K resistor. This bumps the amp's entire midrange frequencies up a notch. The result is a very "fat", "thick" or "beefy" tone that is really awsome.

5. Locate the 22K Midrange knob (VR4) and replace it with a 50K Liner or Log pot. This is for those who are seeking more flexibilty out of the midrange knob.

6. Locate the .68uf cap (C1) which is found on V1A and replace it with a .47uf cap. This alters the midrange response and adds a "heavier" tonal quality

Archived