OT: EVH Phase 90 - Where does it belong in the FX chain?

Urban Ghandi

• Members

Hey!

I just got an EVH Phase 90 and was wondering where the best place to put it in my signal chain?

FX Loop? In Front? What order?

My current set-up:

In my FX loop it's a CH-5 and a DD-6

Out front it's an SD-1 and a Boss Octaver

As soon as you tell me where to put it....IT'S ATOMIC PUNK TIME!!!!

• Members

My impression is that Phasers are a modulation effect, so they should sound better in the loop.

EVH used his as a solo boost, so he must have used it in front of the amp though. The issue with this is that the original script Phase 90's are more subtle than the re-issues, so they sound better in front of the amp. I have a re-issue, and it's a bit too much in front of my amp.

The great thing about the EVH is that it has both modes, so you should probably try everything out. If you want the classic VH tone, then try the script setting and place teh pedal in front of the amp. I'd probably put it between the amp and the octaver.

• Members

Originally posted by ScreaminKing

My impression is that Phasers are a modulation effect, so they should sound better in the loop.

EVH used his as a solo boost, so he must have used it in front of the amp though. The issue with this is that the original script Phase 90's are more subtle than the re-issues, so they sound better in front of the amp. I have a re-issue, and it's a bit too much in front of my amp.

The great thing about the EVH is that it has both modes, so you should probably try everything out. If you want the classic VH tone, then try the script setting and place teh pedal in front of the amp. I'd probably put it between the amp and the octaver.

+1

• Members

I don't have the EVH version, but have an old phase 90. With this particular pedal, I like it in front of the amp 'cause I like the sag it gives. I also have a Mutron II phaser, and prefer that in the loop. So in other words, try it a few different ways. You'll know what does it for you.

J

• Members

Yeah, just experiment. There is no one way of doing it.

Early on EVH ran it pre and post gain. On something like Atomic Punk the phase is massive and you run it post. He used it on solods a lot and there it sounds pre. Just use yer ears and experiment for what you like.

• Members

So, if I;m hearing you guys correctly...

Try it in the loop and in front of the amp (whatever sounds best) BUT...is it the last effect in either scenario (if I have chorus and delay in the loop AND SD1 and Octaver in front)????

It would be nice if I only had to try 2 different set-ups instead of the 720 various combinations of effects.

• Members

I`ve got an EVH Phase 90 on my pedal board. I run it in the loop in the second position, right after my EQ pedal. I always prefer phasers to be post distortion so I always put mine in the loop. Phasers have a more pronounced effect and more overtones when fed by distortion.

Eric

• Members

The way to get that "Atomic Punk" tone, at least the way, EVH did it, was after the power amp. This is done by running the output into a dummy load (or HotPlate or similar), running it to the effects, and then to a second power amp. He did this because he didn't like the effect of power amp distortion on the effect.

Archived