Amp Shootout clip: Mesa Recto/ Soldano SLO/ Bogner XTC

BrentSP

• Members

Originally posted by Rayneman

Please let us know the settings for the clips...specifically the rectifier. I own the XTC and Triple Rec now, and used to have an SLO, and am wondering about which channel on the Mesa you used. I love my XTC, but I'm amazed each day about the new tones I can pull from the Mesa, especially at band volumes.

GREAT comparison by the way!

AKG C2000B miking a Celestion Greenback.

Bognersettings.jpg

rectosettings.jpg

SLOsettings.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ha...ask and ye shall receive!

:D

Assuming you used the red channel on the XTC, I'm surprised you had the 'N' setting for the pre-EQ (unless, of course, you were cranking the amp). I always use the B1, even when I have it opened up. Otherwise, your EQ is set very reasonably. What about the presence and excursion? I like presence at 3 O'Clock and Medium. I have the 101A, so I imagine there's some difference, but not a world's worth.

On to the Rectifier. Wow, your presence and treble are set pretty low for vintage. Using my Axis, I find I'm cranking those pretty high on the orange channel (vintage high gain) and keeping very moderate on the red set to modern. I use a Recto 4X12 w/ V30s, that might explain it. Do you use the red channel much? At basement volumes its pretty worthless, but you get it opened up, and its pretty amazing, even for shreddy leads, IMO!

Its cool to compare settings, as my tone is very similar to yours on those specific amps.

• Members

Originally posted by Rayneman

Ha...ask and ye shall receive!

:D

Assuming you used the red channel on the XTC, I'm surprised you had the 'N' setting for the pre-EQ (unless, of course, you were cranking the amp). I always use the B1, even when I have it opened up. Otherwise, your EQ is set very reasonably. What about the presence and excursion? I like presence at 3 O'Clock and Medium. I have the 101A, so I imagine there's some difference, but not a world's worth.

On to the Rectifier. Wow, your presence and treble are set pretty low for vintage. Using my Axis, I find I'm cranking those pretty high on the orange channel (vintage high gain) and keeping very moderate on the red set to modern. I use a Recto 4X12 w/ V30s, that might explain it. Do you use the red channel much? At basement volumes its pretty worthless, but you get it opened up, and its pretty amazing, even for shreddy leads, IMO!

Its cool to compare settings, as my tone is very similar to yours on those specific amps.

I used the red channel with B1 (just looks weird in the pic but its B1) pres @ 2:00, medium excursion. The red channel isn't stock though its modded for more of a aggressive voicing (did it myself).

The recto with the Mesa Standard Recto cab sounds way dark and boomy IMO. I had one and hated it. The traditional recto cabs sound better. The Bogner cab is very balanced and clear but the mix of Grnbacks and V30s help that to. I mainly use the modern mode in my band and vintage for leads. Its a great amp and I'm loving it. :)

• Members

Originally posted by CyanJaguar

they all sound the same to me.

the pods sound the same to me as well, but this time, I would definitely pick clip 3. in fact, I think I would pick pod 3 over any of the other 5 clips.

and, this thread has exponentially increased my feeling that tone is in the guitar...and the fingers.

• Members

Originally posted by CyanJaguar

the pods sound the same to me as well, but this time, I would definitely pick clip 3. in fact, I think I would pick pod 3 over any of the other 5 clips.

and, this thread has exponentially increased my feeling that tone is in the guitar...and the fingers.

The POD wins.........I'm selling all my gear and keeping the POD now. :D

Archived