help calculating cathode bias for Plexi

gusfinley

• Members

Hi, I'm building a custom 1987 50W plexi. One of the options I am putting in it, is the ability to switch between adjustable/cathode biasing.

I need a little clarification on the equations. Mainly, what is the proper common cathode current for a pair of EL34's with a plate voltage of 438V?

My handy dandy spreadsheet tells me for 438V I should get a plate current of 42.8mA - but is that for one tube or two? And I know that I should account for the screen current since this will also travel through the cathode resistor (I will only be using one cathode resistor for both tubes).

Also, is -40V the standard bias voltage for a plexi 50W?

I am also installing test points for bias voltage which will be taken from a 1ohm resistor placed in series with the plate of one of the tubes. What kind of reading will I be looking for as far as reading only one tube ( I have a matched set) is this the 42.8mA?

Most of my confusion is coming from an old 60's EL34 datasheet with very different operating conditions that any current EL34 amps use.....

• Members

volts x amps = watts

That's it...

Just plug and chug.

438volts x Yamps = .75(25) - for 75% of max el34 diss, ~25 watts

Solve for Y, there's your ballpark max bias setting that people usually talk about, 75% of max dissipation. If that's what you were asking about, anyway, sorry if it wasn't...

• Members

Originally posted by BlackElk

volts x amps = watts

That's it...

Just plug and chug.

438volts x Yamps = .75(25) - for 75% of max el34 diss, ~25 watts

Solve for Y, there's your ballpark max bias setting that people usually talk about, 75% of max dissipation. If that's what you were asking about, anyway, sorry if it wasn't...

solying for Y gives 42.8 mA.... a figure that I already have...

Is that the plate current for one tube then? I think the pairing of the class A/B tubes is throwing me for a loop....

• Members

Yeah, that would be for each tube.

For the cathode resistor, you'd double it with two tubes. If your amp has -40v on the grid, then double it for the two tubes, then figure for the cathode resistor.

Edit, grr, not the grid, the current.. Sorry.

R= -40v / (42.8ma*2) or ~ 470ohm resistor

Or that's how I'd figure it, but I'm pretty green at this, so don't listen to me, heh.

• Members

Hmm, you're using EL34s and want them cathode-biased. I did the same with my JCM800 2205, but I have 428 volts on the plates. So I have a 1200 ohm resistor. Gives me 37 volts across the resistor = ~31 mA which is a nice ~50 % . You have to take into consideration that different cathoderesistor values gives different platevoltages & compensate for that.

Good luck.

Archived