TRADE: Genz Benz El Diablo for a high gainer

The Broken Remain

• Members

I have a Genz Benz El Diablo 100 watt head that I'm still trying to trade. It's not because it's a 'bad' amp, but the voicing just isn't for me. It's not a bad head and I've gotten a bunch of compliments from friends on the tone of it, I just think I need something that can get a little more brutal. I figure if anybody has a high gain head they want to get rid of for something a little less gainy, this would be something to definately try out. I was looking mainly at ENGL Fireballs, since they seemed to be pretty close to the price range of the El Diablo, but I'll take any offers even if I have to throw in some cash on the deal.

• Members

Originally posted by The Broken Remain

I have a Genz Benz El Diablo 100 watt head that I'm still trying to trade. It's not because it's a 'bad' amp, but the voicing just isn't for me. It's not a bad head and I've gotten a bunch of compliments from friends on the tone of it, I just think I need something that can get a little more brutal. I figure if anybody has a high gain head they want to get rid of for something a little less gainy, this would be something to definately try out. I was looking mainly at ENGL Fireballs, since they seemed to be pretty close to the price range of the El Diablo, but I'll take any offers even if I have to throw in some cash on the deal.

a little less gainy? You shoul be able to achieve a stevie ray tone- a high gain tone - a standard rock tone and a nic e clean tone. etc---

Try using differant tube config. try a diferant cab w/ diff spkrs. try diff impedance. try humbuckerws and single coils . Tubes will change the character a lot as well as back loaded to front loaded spkrs and diff impedancxe as well. these are a few things that will make a large differance in sound .

try these things in any combo and work with this amp before dismissing it. I do not endorce g benz and have heard they are solid workhorse type amps. I think three doors down or seven mary three uses them. Im sure if you try these ideas it just might surprise you and suffice for what u r looking for .

If u just dont want it i suggest listing it in harmony classifieds. i have sold stuff in less than one day s time in thee.

good luck 2 u

sorry but i have a laptop now and the keys r small sucks!typing errors all over the place anyway ---:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Daneswede1

a little less gainy? You shoul be able to achieve a stevie ray tone- a high gain tone - a standard rock tone and a nic e clean tone. etc---

Try using differant tube config. try a diferant cab w/ diff spkrs. try diff impedance. try humbuckerws and single coils . Tubes will change the character a lot as well as back loaded to front loaded spkrs and diff impedancxe as well. these are a few things that will make a large differance in sound .

try these things in any combo and work with this amp before dismissing it. I do not endorce g benz and have heard they are solid workhorse type amps. I think three doors down or seven mary three uses them. Im sure if you try these ideas it just might surprise you and suffice for what u r looking for .

If u just dont want it i suggest listing it in harmony classifieds. i have sold stuff in less than one day s time in thee.

good luck 2 u

sorry but i have a laptop now and the keys r small sucks!typing errors all over the place anyway ---
:mad:

Hey thanks for the info about the amp and such, but I have tried pretty much all of those things to change it. The only thing I haven't tried was a tube change (though that's probably the biggest factor in tone with a tube amp). There are low hours on the tubes, so I just never felt like trying others I guess. I don't find it to be a bad amplifier, in fact I really like it. The only thing is, the voicing of the El Diablo really just isn't my thing. You definately can get a good high gain setting out of it, but it just doesn't have the brutal voicing like other high gainers. It's a very versitile amp, but to be honest, I'm not a versitile guitar player. I play metal and that's about it, so I'm just looking for a one trick pony to play some heavy music. :)

• Members

Would you consider your 5150 a high gain amp?

I will agree with you that if you're looking to do all bottom string chugging, an El Diablo might not be your first choice but it is no slouch in the gain department.

My dad did a TSO sorta arrangement for Ode to Joy and I played the guitar parts through both my XXX and my El Dialbo, and he thought that El Diablo was a heavier sonding amp than the XXX.

Honestly I sorta found the Engl amps lacking in breadth, but YMMV. Tone is in the ear of the behoder.

Derek

• Members

Ebay it and get you a Madison Divinity. You'll MAKE money on the deal, an authorized dealer sells them for $800-$900 on ebay constantly. These amps kick ass for the money! Think mesa with tighter bass and more mid definition. In fact, SteelSound would probably trade you straight up. Shoot them an email.

• Members

Originally posted by The Broken Remain

I don't blame you one bit as I really do not the like the El Diablo for Metal tones at all. Engl all the way man.

Derek:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by LordOVchaoS

Ebay it and get you a Madison Divinity. You'll MAKE money on the deal, an authorized dealer sells them for $800-$900 on ebay constantly. These amps kick ass for the money! Think mesa with tighter bass and more mid definition. In fact, SteelSound would probably trade you straight up. Shoot them an email.

Thanks man, I'll make sure to check that out soon. I think I'm going to wait about a week though to see if I can get my hands on an ENGL Fireball.

Archived