Dual TX-81Zs ?

augerinn

• Members

Been there done that (SY77).

If you are spending more than a TX802 costs (i.e. a TG77)- forget it- get a DX200. (The samples in the TG77 aren't that great.)

The effects section in the DX200 is nicer than the TG77(which has an old SPX90II- kinda noisy) - and you have excellent knob control over the most used parameters (filter & res, FM depth, etc..).

No no no. DX200 is DX7 what comes to FM synthesis. Everyone knows that there is PLG150DX card inside which is sold as DX7mkII synth addon to PLG compatible Yamaha synths. So, what's there in DX200 that makes it better than TG77 or SY77/99?

Nothing.

User interface might look like it at first because it has knobs. But, and this is BIG butt.. there's just not enough knobs. What they cover is just a tip of the iceberg. And because it's user interface does not allow editing those deeper parameters, one must use SYSEX editor with it.

Something that you don't need with TG77 or SY77/99, unless wanting to do so.

Besides those newer models have vastly more capable FM synthesis engine. Three feedback loops as a starter.. user can choose their placement.. 16 waveforms! So those are doubled even from TX81Z and other 4OP's.

Good description about improvements: http://www.ibiblio.org/emusic-l/rms/SY77.txt

But what about filters in DX200? I didn't like them too much. If being typical musician who loves analog sounds, one has dedicated subtractive machines for those filter sweeps. Besides TG/SY's have resonant filters as well. Still, i don't use them much.

What about effects. Somehow i use less effects on FM sounds than others. I feel like most effect types just don't fit for FM sounds. I rather take them dry than messed. DX200 effects had decent reverb, not much else. BTW. that reverb was kinda hided so at first i had to dig it for a while until i found it. (I said that in case that someone here has not seen it and thinks that it does not have reverb at all..).

DX-200 effects have too few parameters in every effect. Like what use there is with effect which has ridiculous two parameters? I got used to 10 times more with EPS16+ sampler already.

So, DX200 has bad UI which prevents using full potential of DX7 FM engine and small fx processor with too few effect parameters to be usefull -and some samples.

Conclusion: nice machine for creating some cool loops but not real choice to be used as sound module for serious FM lovers. It CAN be used but SYSEX editor is necessary.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love how the DX11 looks. I'm thinking of getting one as a master keyboard simply because of it's aesthetics.

They do have the nicest key action i've ever tried, such a light synth touch that you can either play subtly or blast out a million-notes-a-second solo. i got one off the bay for

Archived