DS-1 vs SD-1

Sourze

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

The DS-1 eats {censored} no matter how you set it, it's a worhless pedal.

The SD-1 is god like! I've never played with a modded one, but if it takes wha tI like about the regular sd-1 and supercharges it I might need one sometime!

I do know that Steve Vai as well as Joe Satriani have been using the DS-1 for years now and swear by that particular one.

Vai as well has a couple of the Keeley modded type as well.

Im not sure if he uses the modded one or stock. I know the early Keeleys had no switch and had the stock knobs I think anyway. I saw on the Vai in Astoria video that his DS-1 was looked like a stock? IMO The tones he got with that pedal-the Legacy and those Evolution p/u's were dead on album quality.

Saying the DS1 sucks ans the SD1 is godlike is just nosensical to me!? The original versions all carried the JRC4458 chip and the DS1 is sharp-edgy and from light to heavy it is rich in body and has good retention in guitar character. the SD1 is also very similiar in that it is smooth yet slightly jagged asymmetrical, full bodied, MEDIUM gained overdrive with good overall freq. presentation. obviously sounds best when driving a semi cranked tube amp.

• Members

I have played and owned stock and modded SD-1 and DS-1's. The SD-1 works with 90+% of the amps I've tried it , basically I call it the "amp fixer" pedal. Makes crappy practice amps usable, and pushed good ones over the top. Modded (Keeley) is even better - now actually a neccessity for me when using one. Eliminates the "tone sucking" while disengaged, clearer tone, doesn't rob your bottom (no pun intended!), and has more gain, not that I use it with the drive on zero most of the time. Great pedal for Marshall-like amps.

The DS-1, hmmm...different story. It's a distortion pedal, so you typically use it to replace an amp's gain section, or to boost one with very little to moderate gain. I have heard this pedal sound really good on very few amps, and I have heard it sound like crap on many! I also owned the Keeley modded DS-1, and thought it sounded worse than the stock pedal - returned it quickly. Maybe it works on some amps, but not ones I owned or played.

• Members

A Japanese made Ds-1 is a cool pedal. A friend of mine ran it into a clean Fender amp and it gave it all the gain you would ever need, plus it sounded fat and warm. I was VERY suprised. I think the older Japanese made ones may sound better. But the DS-1 probably won't work so well on an already overdriven tube amp.

• Members

I own a Keeley modded DS-1 (Ultra mod), it's not bad ! It sounds horrible with my YJM Strat, but acceptable with my Ibanez Jem.

Sounds SS a little, I enjoy it because I can get sounds I wouldn't normally get with my DOD 250. If I want a nice m/:mad:m/ scooped sound it works great.

The bass boost switch doesn't change anything on my Marshall SLP, but it did work well on an SS amp.

Can't comment on the SD-1.

• Members

The Keeley DS-1 sounds awesome! the SD-1 is very different, I like my Ibanez TS9/808 (Analogman) Tube Screamer more than the SD-1! The SD-1 did sound good as a lead boost in the front of my early '70's Marshall's though. Vai, Satch & Lynch all used Keeley's DS-1 mod (seeing eye mod) before it became the "Ultra Mod" without the toggle switch. If you look at George Lynch gear page you'll see a DS-1 with a small red led where the word

"tone" is.

Archived