Typical gear in your region?

rig-talk.com

• Members
Originally posted by shredhead666

Could be because that's what they're used to dialing in?

:p

Honestly, all you have to do is stick a mic on a Marshall and you'll automatically have a killer tone. That works whether it's live or in the studio. When I was using Peavey's (Triple XXX and 5150), I'd spend a good 15 minutes dialing in my guitar tone through the PA. Actually, it was more the Triple XXX than anything. I think the 5150 mic'ed up real good too.

Anyway... Just stick a mic on Marshalls and they sound killer. Doesn't matter if it's a 1959SLP Reissue, a SuperBass, a JCM800, JCM900, JCM2000, AVT2000, etc... They all rock good.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

most people north of me are moron nu metal heads.

crate, cheap marshall, cheap peavey, for some reason, a lot of solid state amps. there was a band i saw that had carvin amps, old cheap ones, they made em sound ok.

south of here (stl)

its pretty much mesa, some marshall, line 6, and like a few bogners here and there. I know one guy whos goin diezel.

ben

• Members

Here, it's all Marshall (mostly valvestates, some rare 800, or DSL's), if you own a Mesa, you're someway similar to a divinity, then some Laney, and more or less nothing else...

Speaking of guitars, Ibanez, Fender, Gibson. Stop.

I clearly remember playing in a garage with some friends, a while ago... I was playing through a Framus Cobra, and a Dragon 4x12", the other guitarist through a Mesa Nomad 1x12" combo, that, even if a very nice amp, isn't exactly what I'd pick for heavy metal tones. Another guy comes inside, looks at my Framus, then to the Mesa, and tells : "{censored}, this is a Mesa!!! This is a real metal monster, uh?"...

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

And let me guess, his Marshalls were all vintage amps from the '70s and his Germino's are all brand new? lol... I'd bet money that's the case and if so, his comparison isn't anywhere near being valid.

Why not? Germino's are Marshall's basically....

In these parts, you are not allowed to play unless you have high end gear...all basic stuff can only be used either at home (very quietly) or outside the city limits....all gig contracts have riders in them specifying no Marshall. PV, Fender etc...insurance is too expensive to carry for ear damage due to cheap gear.

• Members

Your average Marshall, Fender, Peavey, Mesa over here.

When I played out with my Diezels noone noticed, last gig with the UL (with nameplate removed and backwards in the headshell) a few guys came up to me to ask what it was because they did notice the good tone but had never seen a VHT before.

Before that I played a Peavey VTM for years and years and nobody noticed even though that's not an amp you see often. I've never seen another one to be more precise.

Giga.

• Members
Originally posted by Greazygeo

Why not? Germino's are Marshall's basically....

In these parts, you are not allowed to play unless you have high end gear...all basic stuff can only be used either at home (very quietly) or outside the city limits....all gig contracts have riders in them specifying no Marshall. PV, Fender etc...insurance is too expensive to carry for ear damage due to cheap gear.

Do you think comparing a 25-30 year old Marshall (with possible worn components) to a brand spanking new Germino is reasonable and fair? I don't. :)

• Members

Do you think comparing a 25-30 year old Marshall (with possible worn components) to a brand spanking new Germino is reasonable and fair? I don't.
:)

As long as the amp was maintained, should not be a problem. alot are not though....There really are not that many parts in those amps....The only really stupid thing on those old marshall's is the impedance selector, what were they thinking?!?

• Members
Originally posted by Greazygeo

As long as the amp was maintained, should not be a problem. alot are not though....There really are not that many parts in those amps....The only really stupid thing on those old marshall's is the impedance selector, what were they thinking?!?

Agreed. But you have to admit that comparing the reliability of a 30 year old Marshall amp (with an unknown history) to a brand new Marshall close (Germino) isn't exactly fair. As a matter-of-fact, it's about as unfair as humanly possible. :)

• Members

amp-wise i see a LOT of line 6 stuff, peavey is pretty popular too (mainly 5150's and XXX's), occasionally i'll see someone with marshall jcm800/2000, or a recto

guitar-wise it's mainly import jacksons, ibanez, schecters, epiphone, fender...there's a few gibson players around

the local scene here doesn't see a whole lot of cool or unusual gear onstage, it's mainly sub $500 stuff that any gc would stock

• Members

In the Netherlands (or at least the part I've seen of it) we have a lot of MIM fenders squier, ibanez and epiphone guitars around. The tube amps that are most common are the fender hotrods, peavey classic series and marshall jcm series amps.

Very specific in this region is the popularity of fender tele's and jazzmasters on your typical music festival, every band seems to have them, together with old marshall clones like soundcity london city and whatever city. Those amps can be bought here for around

• Members

hmmmm. i've seen alot of "hardcore" kids around long island using gibsons and epiphones for guitars or the esp models of sgs and lps. asfar as amps its mostly the cheap crates and marshalls that guitar center will whore all the time. they have no idea about gear, there is the occasional guitarist using a bbe sonic maximizer or a boss ns-2 but other than that these kids are morons and buy gear because of the name and not because they researched anything.

• Members

Does anyone else see the pattern in what people are using all over the world?

Here's a hint... It's common everyday gear that can be had just about anywhere, not top dollar cork sniffer stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that, but let's face it, the boutique stuff is big on the web and not so much in real life).

• Members

amps around here are generally line-6, crate and marshall MG series. it's terrible, most people run metal zones in front of them, even if they show up with the odd tube amp.

guitars are generally gibson, epiphone, fender, squier. the typical.

my band stands out around here because i use an ibanez/ESP through peavey and the other guitarist in my band uses ESP/cort through a B-52. not only that but half of our songs use 7-strings, most people's jaws drop around here when they see them.

• Members

This thread is great! As always, the use of gear by different style bands and artists is too diverse and subjective to make proper sense of!

I have used my '60 RI Strat into my VHT 50/CL w/EQ or UL w/EQ amps/cabs live for several years and the folks that notice (sound guys say "Turn it down!", guitar players say "Wow! That is one insane rig! What is it?") the amps DO hear something different and unique. I have also played Marshalls (SLP and 2203), Mesa Mk III, Randal RM100, Riveras, etc. and have never had someone come up and brand my tones as with the VHT gear.

There's something about where these VHT amps situate my tones in the mix and it ain't a volume thing. They're easy on the ears and still cut through it all somehow.

Just prior to all this, I went through an entire period of going lala over pedalboard distortions and myriad effects in-lieu of the VHT amp-channel/MIDI/processor system and have just come home....

Life's a bitch! I spent $1,900.00 on a bunch of boutique pedals and whatnot and am back at square one! It's a good thing I ain't married anymore! ;) Or, is that why I'm not married anymore??

Call me stupid, it's OK!

Brian

Archived