Cindy Lauper "All through the night" - JP8 starring ?...

gilwe

• Members

Forii?? :facepalm: That's worse than virii. What if you have more than one Juno, are they Junii, or Juna? Junae?

I always wondered about that solo in GJWHF, there are some notes that repeat awfully fast in there. I wonder if they used the arpeggiator to achieve that, or they were doing two-finger slams on one key or something... I also wonder what was used for the staccato chords all through the song.

Every time I see that Howard Jones album, it always looks at first glance that he's about to take a whiz on the JP-8. :facepalm:

• Members

Forii??
:facepalm:
That's worse than virii. What if you have more than one Juno, are they Junii, or Juna? Junae?

I always wondered about that solo in GJWHF, there are some notes that repeat awfully fast in there. I wonder if they used the arpeggiator to achieve that, or they were doing two-finger slams on one key or something... I also wonder what was used for the staccato chords all through the song.

A cheap Casiotone keyboard was used for the staccato chords on GJWHF.

• Members

Bill Whitman, the producer of that Cindy Lauper record, who still plays in Cindy's band, posts a lot in online forums. There's quite a bit of stuff on Gearslutz if you search, but he moved on to other forii. If you do your research you'll find him, I did find quite a bit of stuff last year when I was deciding on how I was going to run my recording project.

Apparently he remembers the recordings very well - I've read detailed reports on how the drums were recorded (an old question I've always had...) and so on.

He usually goes by William Wittman or WW whether it be on Voxtalks or other forums. He's a great guy and very talented bass player. He gave my wife and I tics to a concert just outside of Toronto a few years ago. It was really good - Cyndi was a riot and got right up into the crowd. I sent off a msg. so we should hopefully hear from him soon.

g

• Members

Here's William's reply to me:

It's a Juno 60 with its arpeggiator being 'triggered' for timing by a Linn Drum 2

Then there's Anton playing along with it on the rims of the toms for added click rhythm.

btw, William is a great guy, phenominal bass player and one of the few producers that really tries to make the bass sound good on a cd instead of just how do I drop that bass sound in without it wrecking the song.

• Members
It's a Juno 60 with its arpeggiator being 'triggered' for timing by a Linn Drum 2

Then there's Anton playing along with it on the rims of the toms for added click rhythm.

What's "it" in this case? All Through The Night? Solo in GJWHF? Or something else?

• Members

Hmm, that does not agree with what Richard Termini told me. On the other hand, that record was apparently patched together over a long period so it's possible that some of the keyboard parts were redone towards the end of the project.

Anyways, Termini was 99% certain that the synth-gliss solo on All through the night was done on a Memorymoog (played by Peter Wood) and that the brassy pads are from a Prophet 5 (played by Termini himself).

Archived