Microkorg alternative?

Rena Rune

• Members

Since everyone seems to have a microkorg nowadays, I'd like to see what else is on offer. I'd like an analogue modeling synth with the same kind of keys as the Microkorg - I rarely use my MIDI controller because it's just so large, the Microkorg appeals to me because it's small mostly and has a good range of sounds. The lack of USB support does not however...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You might want to look at the MicroKorg XL - there's no USB support, but it has some other features that might be tempting: mini-keys, but even cooler, a better interface, different sound engine (whether it's better is probably a matter of opinian, but it doubles the polyphony and other things).

• Members

You might want to look at the MicroKorg XL - there's no USB support, but it has some other features that might be tempting: mini-keys, but even cooler, a better interface, different sound engine (whether it's better is probably a matter of opinian, but it doubles the polyphony and other things).

Apparently you missed the USB connector on the MicroKorg XL?

• Members

The Korg nanoKey has minikeys. It has no sound engine, of course, but for only $50, the budget might leave some room for some softsynths .

ffff tempted but I really want a 37 key model, that's just enough for me.

Where would be a good place to get a second hand Microkorg? I'm in Ireland so I'd need it to ship to here, I guess UK would be my best bet. None cheap on eBay at the mo.

A lot of my friends have a Microkorg though I'd like something different maybe.

• Members

I can't fathom why anyone would actually prefer to play on mini keys.

Portability. I get an extra octave over the other small synths too.

Would I honestly just be best getting a Microkorg? Apart from USB it does almost everything I need.

• Members

I can't fathom why anyone would actually prefer to play on mini keys.

I can't fathom why people still want to use those giant piano keys- they simply are too big- and I have larger than average hands- minikeys and things like the axis-64 and buchla/serge controllers make much more sense for pitches in electronic music- FAR more pitch controllers per square inch-

the pianoforte key is so long- you sould have 2-3 rows of easily accesible pitch buttons in the depth of the standard keybed-

think about this- anyone can learn to type scores of letters/numbers/punctuation on a QWERTY keyboard with no difficulty- the same size keys could easily control a few octaves of just 12 notes with as much expression as giant piano keys-

• Members

I can't fathom why people still want to use those giant piano keys- they simply are too big- and I have larger than average hands- minikeys and things like the axis-64 and buchla/serge controllers make much more sense for pitches in electronic music- FAR more pitch controllers per square inch-

I agree with you about the AXiS. That's why C-Thru is building me one right now. :love: Never tried the Buchla but I don't like the minikeys at all. They're akward to play chords and also remind me of little toy keyboards my aunt and grandma gave me!

• Members

The size of the keys, as well as how they feel to you, is entirely a matter of preference. That's why I have no problem recommending the MicroKorgXL for that purpose. The XL is a big step up from the original MicroKorg. Because the R3 is so close in price, I think anyone looking at the XL should be sure which of them is the closest match for the their needs, because the R3 has double the effects and a bit more powerful engine. Regardless, they are both good choices for the price, so long as you pick the one that suits you best.

Archived