Am I freakin crazy or what. 5150 II mod wish list inside.

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

Half power is still half power, 60 watts. Yes, a 60 watt is still plenty loud. It's not going to be a bedroom amp either way. A triode/pentode half power switch also offers a little bit of a difference in tone. For me a half power switch isn't for real low volumes, it's to make the amp less obnoxious and offer another tonal option.

Jerry

I think we basically agree... I didn't make my point as well as I wanted.

I didn't mean to imply that tone changes are bad... that can be a very good thing, but everything comes at a price. Switching the power stage to 1/2 power changes the tone some and it should require a load change although one may get away with the same load. I wouldn't though.

1/2 power is still -3db in power delivery and that's not much in perceived loudness. It's a nice option to have, but not much more than that. I have added this to some of my amps and have used it on occassion.

-keith-

• Members

Yeah, the half power option is yet another tone shaping tool. Not only that, but it`s also usefull in the recording environment for getting maximum power amp tube push. It`s not going to be noticably more quiet, but at those volumes it will get into more power amp distortion. That`s sweet no matter how you look at it.

Besides, all this stuff is going to add up to the most bad assed 5150 II south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by sonixx

I think we basically agree... I didn't make my point as well as I wanted.

I didn't mean to imply that tone changes are bad... that can be a very good thing, but everything comes at a price. Switching the power stage to 1/2 power changes the tone some and it should require a load change although one may get away with the same load. I wouldn't though.

1/2 power is still -3db in power delivery and that's not much in perceived loudness. It's a nice option to have, but not much more than that. I have added this to some of my amps and have used it on occassion.

-keith-

Yup, we agree. I just wanted to clarify that it does in fact cut the output power in half. I don't think a lot of guys understand db's (I know I don't!) and when someone says it's only 3db it might make them think the mod does nothing. A lot of guys also don't realize how loud a 50 watt amp is.

Jerry

• Members

Well, I spent today thinking about this whole mod thing and made a decision. I`m going to wait on getting the MM OT and choke. I am still going to get the...

1) total 5150 II package (incl. lead & rhythm channel pre-amp mods, bias mod and clarity mod)

2) mid shift

3) 1/2 power option (type 1)

4) New tubes

I`ll save over $300.00 by not doing the OT and choke right now. Maybe later? I don`t know. After I get my head back is when I`ll make that decision.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in on this thread. The voting was almost 50/50 with a one vote advantage to modding the amp. I guess a lot of you guys out there are just as crazy as me and would do the same thing. I was suprised to say the least.

Thanks,

Eric

• Members

although that is way more than I would spend on mods I say go for it. If it were me I would skip the OT and choke as well just because they cost a ton. The notion that the Mesa or any amp over $2000 is going to be "better" is 100% bullshit and I get sick of hearing it. I have played most of the amps on the market and with a good set of tubes the 5150II will do metal as well as ANY amp on the market period. I have no doubts that Jerry's mods make some things about the amp a little better but there is a reason so many metal bands use 5150's and not X boutique brand that cost a fortune and it's not because they can't afford them, that is all :)

• Members

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

Well, I spent today thinking about this whole mod thing and made a decision. I`m going to wait on getting the MM OT and choke. I am still going to get the...

1) total 5150 II package (incl. lead & rhythm channel pre-amp mods, bias mod and clarity mod)

2) mid shift

3) 1/2 power option (type 1)

4) New tubes

I`ll save over $300.00 by not doing the OT and choke right now. Maybe later? I don`t know. After I get my head back is when I`ll make that decision.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in on this thread. The voting was almost 50/50 with a one vote advantage to modding the amp. I guess a lot of you guys out there are just as crazy as me and would do the same thing. I was suprised to say the least.

Thanks,

Eric

sorry, missed this post :)

Archived