Dark Energy - Doepfer's stand-alone mini modular

• Members

it's on the doepfer home page in the form of the module A111-5, for fitting into your Eurorack modular.

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

click on the picture and it brings up a section about it. intriguingly one of the proposed applications for the module is a 4 voice polyphonic modular synth.

my credit card is vibrating in my pocket already. :eek:

• Members

it's on the doepfer home page in the form of the module A111-5, for fitting into your Eurorack modular.

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

click on the picture and it brings up a section about it. intriguingly one of the proposed applications for the module is a 4 voice polyphonic modular synth.

my credit card is vibrating in my pocket already.
:eek:

You know, I thought that a polyphonic modular would be really cool, until I had one. Even with a giant wall of modules, all I could do was spend a half hour to patch up the equivalent of a Jupiter 4 or slightly better.

There was no musical point to that, with my Chroma sitting right next to it. Autorunning evolving drones and sequences, and bug music, is where a modular is at!

• Members

It would cost three times as much...but, yeah, the M-class
Creature
is a ton of fun in 7"x7".
:D

Three times PLUS a power supply, right?

I was excited about the Creature until I figured out you had to spend another $500 on the rack and PSU.

I wish they had made it a stand-alone.

• Members

Three times PLUS a power supply, right?

I was excited about the Creature until I figured out you had to spend another $500 on the rack and PSU.

I wish they had made it a stand-alone.

The PS is an additional $200 - which can power up to 4 M-odules.

Then just slap that Creature in a nice wooden box...you could make it with a hinging lid (with patch cord storage in the lid). :idea:

I kind of want to do that myself but my table saw is a POS...and the final result probably wouldn't look so hot. :lol:

• Members

I kinda like the idea of this if it does happen. Sound On Sound's article on modular synths kick started the GAS a little bit for me, so something like this as an entry level modular would be pretty nice, especially if it is at that proposed price!

• Members

You know, I thought that a polyphonic modular would be really cool, until I had one. Even with a giant wall of modules, all I could do was spend a half hour to patch up the equivalent of a Jupiter 4 or slightly better.

Using it for poly isn;t playing to a modulars strengths, though i guess on the flipside, there's still some cool {censored} to be done there, like oberheim 4 voice type antics, and you still have all the modules there for other purposes.

Doepfer have a 3 voice poly midi-cv in the pipeline, so guess that given that things are fairly tight atm, the new module is quite a smart move... it's a lower cost/space alternative for building a modular poly.

That and they know that modulars are addicting, so if you get the setup and dig it, the first thing people will do when they've got the dosh again is to start adding in more oscs, mod sources etc

• Members

Looks nice. I've been tossing up between the Cwejman VM-1, the Doepfer A111.5 (same as the dark energy) or a minicase with midi to cv/vco/adsr/moog ladder filter.

Any thoughts? It is my first step into modular synthesis.

• 1 month later...

Archived